021 ━━ foolproof plan

━━━✦━━━

"HEY, MISTER," A child says, approaching the three- that are clearly not supposed to be there- individuals. The kid looks Bellamy up and down, taking note of the uniform he wears, and asks, "Are you on the ground unit? My dad's training for the ground unit."

From her spot tucked into Bellamy's side, Iona stares down at the little boy. He's a cute thing- and he still wears a smile, so Iona assumes he doesn't know what's happening in the place he calls home.

Iona breaks her gaze from the kid to glance up at Bellamy, who stares back at the little boy with a saddened expression.

"It's pretty cool up there. I hope he makes it."

The boy flashes his pearly whites in a large grin before quickly darting towards his classroom, and Bellamy's face falls once he sees the nametag printed on the kid's backpack:

Lovejoy.

The very same nametag Bellamy had stripped from the ensemble the now dead guard wore.

"He's just a kid..." Bellamy says sadly, "They're all just kids."

"What did you think you'd find?" Maya says suddenly, a somewhat offended expression on her face. Then, she shakes her head and frowns, "Come on. We need to keep moving."

As they begin walking again, Iona sighs.

Usually, she isn't the comforting type, but Iona has to admit Bellamy shouldn't feel the way he does. He's trying to do good by his people- and in most cases, that includes getting rid of any threats on the way.

For Iona, killing is easy; facing the families of those she's killed is easy, too. However, for Bellamy, it's not that easy and Iona can see it written all across his face.

"The kid will be fine," Iona grumbles out, tightening her grip on Bellamy as they take a step down. "His father was a bad man. Now, the kid might not deserve to grow up without a dad, but... he'll grow up in a better... environment."

When Iona glances at Bellamy, she can tell she didn't say the right thing. With a sigh, she shakes her head, "Sorry. I'm not good at this. Just... don't be so hard on yourself, yeah? You've got a job to do."

When Bellamy cracks the tiniest hint of a smile, Iona feels a little bit of pride swell within her, and she sends him a forced smile back in return, before focusing once again on the girl she's following.

She wasn't good at the comforting thing- and she certainly had plenty to work on; for now, though, her attempt was enough to make Bellamy set his feelings aside and focus on the task at hand.

━━━✦━━━

Finally, the three managed to turn a corner that led them straight into a room filled with teenagers. Sky People, Iona guessed almost instantly, and her suspicions were confirmed when Maya said, "There they are."

However, as soon as they even considered walking through the door, an alarm blared throughout the halls, and the door slid shut.

"What the hell is going on?" Bellamy murmured, leaning in closer to Maya.

"I-I don't know. It's not a breach, but it can't be good."

Bellamy glanced back at the door, taking note of Jasper, who was pressed up against the glass and staring directly at Maya, before whispering, "Okay. Get us to that radio."

Maya nodded, running in the direction of a separate hallway.

━━━✦━━━

"CAMP JAHA, can you hear me?" Bellamy announced into the radio. "Camp Jaha, this is Mt. Weather. Does anyone read me?"

"Bellamy?" A voice sounded in surprise.

"Clarke?" Bellamy echoed, a small smile coming across his face.

There was a moment of silence before the next message came through, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, but that's it for the good news," Bellamy sighed. He glanced over at Iona who had taken a seat on the floor, readjusting her bandages with Maya's help, "Iona's been stabbed in the side- and I'm pretty sure they drained her blood... it's not looking good."

"Do you have access to any medical tools or medicine?"

"No," Bellamy replied, kneeling beside the woman. She looked at him in distaste- she didn't appreciate being treated like glass. She was fine and she'd continue to be fine until the battle was won- and even longer after that, she'd still say she was fine.

"I'm sorry... I don't know if I can help. We need to work on getting you guys out of there then I can treat her wounds."

"I'm fine," Iona said through grit teeth, snatching the radio from his hands, "and I'm not leaving without my fucking katana."

Bellamy hissed, narrowing his eyes at the woman before roughly grabbing back his radio, "Shut the hell up. You're crippled, admit it." Once Clarke cleared her throat, exclaiming a quiet focus!, Bellamy sighed, saying, "About that... something's changed."

"What happened?" Clarke asked, concern evident in her voice.

"Jasper, Monty- everyone is locked in the dorm!"

Clarke's voice faltered for a short moment, "But they're alive, right? All of them?"

Bellamy nodded even though Clarke couldn't see him, "I think so. For now. Maya says they're already being used for their blood. Things can get ugly real fast."

"Maya's with you?"

Bellamy nodded, glancing over at Iona, who stared blankly at the radio, "She helped us escape. If not for her... we'd be dead..." He shared a solemn look with Maya, "and Clarke... there are kids in here. We need a plan that doesn't kill everyone."

"Then your plan will fail," Iona said emotionlessly. "These people are cockroaches; they'll survive anything if we don't get rid of all of them."

"Not happening," Bellamy said instantly, making Iona click her tongue against the roof of her mouth, "Clarke has a plan. Right, Clarke?"

"I hear you, Bellamy. But we can't do anything until you disable the acid fog. Raven's gonna help you."

"Got it. What else?"

"You have to find a way to free the Grounder prisoners. There's a whole army inside that mountain and they don't even realize it."

Iona felt her heartbeat begin to rapidly speed up. Clarke had considered her people after all. For a moment, she was stunned. She couldn't believe her ears.

That didn't last long, however, as Iona quickly raised to her feet and smirked, "I think I can help with that."

━━━✦━━━