054 ━━ one step closer

━━━✦━━━

IONA WAS unhappy.

This was not uncommon, considering she rarely enjoyed interaction with others (unless it involved battle) and was always seen with an unhappy expression. Frown lines practically lived upon her face.

Now, however, she was unhappy for various different reasons. Unique reasons, unknown to her prior, and that only made her unhappiness even stronger, and that unhappiness blossomed into rage.

Why was she unhappy, exactly?

The answer sat across from her, staring right back with that same anger; the same urge to kill and feed the bloodlust lurking in his chest.

Pike and Iona weren't destined to get along, nor could they ever somehow manage to make it work. He despised her culture, her childhood, and who she had become; she despised his attitude, his stubbornness, and his disloyal air.

Ironic, considering she used to be just like him.

Oh, the hypocrite she had become.

Still, though, Pike gnawed at the one emotion inside of her, tugging on the chains that locked it away- had kept it hidden for years now- and was slowly breaking it out of its' cage.

Iona liked to believe she wouldn't mass murder again. She liked to believe that she had changed, had grown, and had realized the flaw in her design that led her into darkness and bad judgment- and lack of self control.

However, if presented with the opportunity, she would certainly massacre fifty version of Pike if they were all in the same room.

There was not a doubt in her mind that said otherwise.

For now, she had to pretend like his presence didn't bother her, and like his existence wasn't nagging at her. Iona acted like everything was fine and put on a plain, clearly forced smile, as she stared into his dark eyes.

He didn't make an effort to reciprocate the fake gesture. Instead, he stared blankly, rarely blinking, with that same tension they marinated in earlier.

Why did Pike have to join them? Iona was sure she was a better Azgedan tour guide than him. She grew up roaming that land, and somewhere on her body, perhaps hidden by her Trikru tattoos, were the proof of her former alliance.

Of course, no one knew that other than Indra and herself, and Iona preferred it that way.

An alliance with Azgeda was not taken lightly.

The journey hadn't even been longer than an hour now as they navigated through the Ice Nation's land, stopping by several shops and small trading posts as they came across them.

They bore no fruit, urging the group to continue further north in search of Clarke.

Finally, they came across a small shack settled in the middle of nowhere. It was decorated in a homely manner, despite the ominous vibes it gave off, and was almost tantalizing. As if you just had to explore inside.

Something set off a red flag in Iona's mind, however. Whether it be the Azgedan horses tied up around the corner or the fresh drag marks in the dirt, or even the door busted wide open, strangled cries and dull conversing inside- or perhaps all of it.

Iona was never one to show resistance against her instincts.

As such, she grabbed her katana, twirling it around her hand as she ran forward. Her commander robes slashed harshly against the back of her legs, before suddenly going still.

Everything had happened too fast for Bellamy to keep track of.

At first, Iona had been running into the building- he wasn't far behind- with her weapon drawn. Then, the next second, her katana had left her hand and flew right through the air, hitting an Azgedan soldier with deadly accuracy.

He gripped at his chest, hands staining red as they unknowingly pricked themselves against the spiky, freshly sharpened tick.

His eyes searched the room, meeting Iona's for a short moment. Then, his eyes fluttered briefly, his figure collapsing to the ground as blood foamed at the mouth, creating a puddle beneath him that colored his clothes crimson.

While everyone else slowed down at the realization she had just murdered a man within seconds, she approached him wordlessly.

They all stood in disgusted fascination as she pressed a foot to the man's back, pulling her katana out and causing a nasty tearing sound to echo throughout the room.

She didn't flinch.

Amidst it all, she had simply been staring at the bruised and battered woman on the ground. Her eyes flashed in alarm, crawling on her hands backward out of fear.

Iona dropped her katana, sending her a tight nod, and then kicked it away, attempting to ease some of her concerns. She meant no harm here. After all, her damage had already been done, and the image of that dead man would certainly scar her for life.

Iona couldn't hurt her any more than she already had. After all, mental torture is the worst kind.

"Are you alright?" Bellamy questioned, finally swallowing the lump in his throat.

"We are here to help," Indra clarified. She didn't miss the way the mysterious woman's gaze flashed over to Iona in alarm- could she really believe her? "We will not hurt you."

"English!" Pike instantly cried out, pointing his weapon at Indra threateningly.

At this, Iona scowled, hissing, "Let me kill him, commander."

For a second, Indra hesitated, feeling odd by the situation presented to her. She had never been called commander by Iona before. After all, they've always been the same rank- the same standing.

It was always a first name basis before.

Had that much changed?

"Control," Indra sighed, shaking her head.

Pike only seemed further enraged by their continuation of their native tongue. Iona sent him a taunting smile as he angrily exclaimed, "I said-"

"Pike, go outside," Kane interfered, sending a pointed look to Iona. She was trying to taunt him, and it was working far too well. "Go on. Take Monty and Hannah with you; search the perimeter. Make sure he was alone."

Pike hesitantly obeyed, sending one last angry look to the Grounder women.

"We are looking for Wanheda," Iona said, bending down to gather her katana again.

She shook her head, nodding to the man on the ground, "So was he."

"Please," Bellamy pleaded. "She's in danger."

"You are Skykru..." She trailed off, glancing between the group before her. Bellamy slowly nodded, and the woman sighed. She glanced back at where her bedroom her is, eyes glazing over, "She was here last night."

"Did she say where she was going?"

"No. She was here when I fell asleep and gone when I woke up," She shrugged.

Kane bit his lip, "Did she give you any indication of where she might go?"

"No," She answered plainly. Silence settled between the group, and she slowly pointed at the dead man rotting on her floor, "But he did. He said his partner came back for her. Ice Nation. I hope you find her."

Iona sighed.

Maybe her time as an Azgedan would prove useful for once.

━━━✦━━━

lil bit of a longer chapter for you :D