052 ━━ naming the chaos

hi!! sorry for being gone yall. im alive i swear! i just am a little overwhelmed tbh. ive woken up to 200+ notifs these past few days and its so crazy. this book is growing so fast i never expected it to do so. thank you all for your support <3 i have nothing else to do today so im just gonna write a few chapters. ive been avoiding writing bc tbh... i dont wanna let you guys down- but ill do my best!

━━━✦━━━

IONA WASN'T someone that gave in easily.

In fact, she was the complete and polar opposite. She refused to give up, even when all of the odds were against her, and loved trying to battle against her challenges and come out on top.

So why is it, exactly, that Iona Valana- a woman who refused to give in; to let someone else gain control over her- allowed herself to be pinned to the ground by a masked woman, with a gun held to the top of her head.

The answer laid right beside her.

Bellamy Blake, wordlessly allowing himself to be held captive, urged her to do the same, even without explicitly asking her to do so. Maybe it was stupid, but Iona trusted him. If he wasn't afraid- which often would lead one to assume that he had a plan- then she shouldn't be afraid either.

Perhaps it was stupid- most definitely stupid, considering she liked to remain independent and in control of her own fate- but Iona tried her hardest to just fall in line.

If one domino was to fall, all of them would fall, and in her case, the tumble would not be as satisfying as it typically was. It would lead to destruction- and later death. Something about that sent a chill down her spine.

Of course, Iona was not as blindly trusting as others, and had a very hard time just falling in line, which is why she was so grateful for Monty suddenly sighing out, "Mom?"

The masked woman instantly threw off her mask, letting her hood drop down as she ran right into her son's arms. The guard let go, allowing them to embrace, whispering between themselves.

Indra and Iona shared a look, frowning as they were still being held at gunpoint.

For a moment, Iona had forgotten the Sky People had families. Maybe that was stupid, but it always slipped her mind. After all, few of them were ever seen with their parents, nor did they talk about them.

Then, suddenly, Iona looked over at Bellamy. Did he have a family? Were his parents somewhere stranded on Earth like this group was; separated from everyone else?

She'd have to ask about it later.

"Farm Station, stand down," a voice boomed overhead.

Iona nearly growled at the woman who hesitantly- very, very hesitantly- removed the gun from her head. Instead, she rose to her feet, glaring at the masked figure as she cleaned off her trousers.

"Pike?" Kane asks, staring up at the man he appeared to recognize from his voice. He broke out into a confused smile once Pike removed his mask and hood.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you," He grinned, reaching a hand down to pull Kane up off the ground.

They laughed, sharing a hug.

"How many of you are there?"

"63. They're camped in the mountains north of here," Pike said. Then, he raised his voice- and instantly, at his words, Iona wanted to stab him senseless. It appeared as though he forgot his audience, "Grounder killers one and all. Am I right?"

Instantly, they all shared a cry, and upon instinct, Iona's hand shot down to her katana, tapping against the hilt.

Indra and Iona stood side by side, staring out at the group of Sky People, and their minds seemed to share the same though once they exchanged a look.

They weren't welcome around these folk.

"Ignore him," A voice whispered into her ear. She didn't have to look to recognize who it was, she merely felt the familiar chill run down her spine, eyes closing in content.

"He doesn't know you yet."

Iona held a hand out, to which he took, and she squeezed, giving Bellamy a thankful look. He smiled, nodding, as he pressed a small and quick kiss to the side of her head, right above her ear, before heading towards Pike.

She watched him go, a feeling blossoming in her chest. A stupid smile came over her face and she bit down on her lip, attempting to hide it.

Something about Bellamy had her starstruck. Now, when they met, as they became friends- every part of their relationship since the beginning. He was such an enigma, yet she felt like she understood him so well, and vice versa.

Something about him had wrapped around her heart and squeezed- and now, it wasn't letting go.

Indra -who had been long forgotten from beside her- let out a small noise, something akin to a scoff. Once Iona glanced over at her, she suspiciously raised her brow, rolling her eyes.

"How long?" She asked mysteriously.

Iona's face contorted to one of confusion, "What?"

"How long have you loved him?"

"What-" Iona felt the words die in her throat, forming an unswallowable lump. It felt like she was choking, her heartrate accelerating and cheeks flaming red.

Indra shook her head.

Was that what it was? Did Iona finally have a name to that indescribable feeling always haunting her; toying with her, choking her, distracting her?

Was love the word you could use to describe the swelling of your heart as someone became your world? As you became devoted to ensuring their happiness? As you became utterly infatuated by them, and everything they did or said?

If so, maybe- just maybe- was Iona Valana in love with Bellamy Blake.

━━━✦━━━