020 ━━ exposure

━━━✦━━━

"WHAT'S SO special about that katana?" Bellamy questions as they traverse the halls.

Iona sighs. Normally, she wouldn't confide in anyone about her or her weapons history, but seeing as her time might be running out, it might prove as the distraction she needs to stay sane.

"In our clan, it is not uncommon for warriors to believe their weapons to be soul bearers. Most will say they believe their weapon draws its' power from the lives they have taken," Iona glances up at the ceiling briefly, admiring the way the beams dance together.

"When I first became a warrior of the Trikru clan, Lexa was training to become Commander. The Commander before Lexa, Kemji, was impressed by my skills and had my katana forged for me using the strongest metal we've ever collected."

"It is an honor to carry that blade..." She nods to herself, "Lexa was always telling me that katanas are a symbol of precision. My blade cuts deep; most of my people believe my weapon harvest souls."

Bellamy seemed intrigued by the story, and Maya seemed... as if she was both sickened by the idea of death and in awe of the weapons history.

"It might sound... strange... but my katana soothes me. I have stolen plenty of lives, and in return, they give me life," Iona glanced over at Bellamy, momentarily meeting his gaze, before muttering, "It just- has meaning... to me."

Bellamy snickered to himself for a second, all of the bad in world forgotten- if only for a small moment. It was new to him, hearing Iona speak of her past- well, hearing her speak of anything without malice or disgust.

He couldn't deny how refreshing it was, and how she seemed like such a peaceful human being for those few seconds her eyes lit up in remembrance and wonder.

It was like she became a whole new person.

Of course, that second ended all too fast and Bellamy found himself stuck once again in the awkward and uncomfortable silence that settled between the three.

Maya led them wordlessly, scouting the halls before signaling that it was clear, and they could follow suit. Bellamy was toying with the guard's clothes, trying to fix the uncomfortable fabric- and whether he realized it or not, he was occasionally staring at Iona's side that was beginning to bleed through her new clothes.

Iona, on the other hand, was beginning to grow crazier and crazier.

She hadn't felt steel in her hand for far too long, and she was growing reckless as she opened every door she passed by in search of her katana.

"If I don't find the damn thing..." Iona grumbled to herself, withholding a grimace as her side ached yet again.

"You're still injured," Bellamy noted, and Iona didn't even hesitate:

"Oh, thanks, I'm so glad you can tell me what I already fucking know!"

Bellamy instantly shook his head, putting a hand over her mouth and squeezing roughly, "If you would've let me finish speaking, you would've heard me offer to help you walk."

Iona grabbed his wrist with her free hand, twisting it backward and listening to his surprised- and oddly girly- yelp, "No thanks. I'm capable of walking just fine."

"Ow..." He murmured quietly, gripping the wrist he was sure would turn purple soon, "Whatever you say."

Maya glanced between the pair, taking in their expressions and shaking her head, "Your bickering is going to get us caught. If they find out you aren't actually a guard and she isn't one of us, they'll kill you."

"I'll kill them first," Iona said instantly, smiling.

Maya twitched for a second, turning away from the woman and closing her eyes, drawing a shaky breath. Then, she grabbed a keycard from her pocket and approached a nearby elevator. Glancing between Bellamy and Iona with a nod, she swiped it; the light turned green.

"You need to get to level five. There's a camera in the upper corner, try to keep your head-" She glanced at Iona, "-and voices down."

Iona grumbled to herself before stepping in. She blew out puffy breaths of air, trying to distract herself from the pain blossoming throughout her body, just as Bellamy stepped in beside her, tugging down the brim of his hat.

"Hold the elevator," A man said, sticking his hand through the door.

Iona let out a shaky breath, trying to calm down her breathing and stop her body from the shaking that had begun. She mentally chastised herself- but for once, Bellamy appeared to have her back.

"Hey, Maya," The man said, glancing towards their corner.

Just as he was about to see Iona's exposed tattoos and the blood on her shirt, Bellamy had tugged her into his side and hidden her face and her wounds from the man.

"Missed you in my expressionist class."

Iona stared up at Bellamy, holding her breath, and for a split second, Bellamy thought he saw fear within her orbs.

It's okay, he mouthed, and Iona hated that he managed to make her feel better, but she nodded regardless.

"Yeah, I..." Maya trailed off, coming up with a vague response, "I had some work to do."

The elevator began to take off as he leaned back, saying, "It's okay, I'll get you the notes."

Then, a ding was heard, and two more bodies stepped into the elevator.

Iona's grip on Bellamy's coat tightened and she habitually reached for her katana, letting out a barely coherent curse when she remembered it was gone.

Once the elevator dinged again, a few moments later, everyone began to step off until Iona let out a tiny whimper. She stopped walking, biting her lip aggressively and sharing a look with Maya.

"Hey, you're bleeding. Are you okay?"

Within seconds, Maya appeared to have the situation under control as she tugged Iona back into the elevator, Bellamy following suit, and exclaiming, "You were exposed! Quick, we need to retrace your steps and find the breach."

Once it was just them three in the elevator, Iona let out a relieved sigh, internally thanking the clever girl that had just saved her life.

━━━✦━━━