046 ━━ wanheda

━━━✦━━━

BELLAMY CROUCHED down, patting Iona's cheeks, attempting to break her out of her daze. "Iona," He said gruffly, finally getting her attention and staring into her wild eyes, "I need you to explain right now."

Iona sighs to herself, sitting up until she can rest comfortably on her hands. Her eyes stay fixated on the ground, and she huffs.

"It means commander of death," Iona reveals, her heart clenching. Then, she hesitantly adds, "I am the only person that has come close to receiving the title."

Bellamy's brows furrow, "Why?"

"It... was a stupid thing I did when I was younger," Iona says sadly, shaking her head. "I regret it now. It hurt a lot of people. But I didn't get the title then, and it doesn't really matter."

Bellamy was still suspicious, glancing around at the group that now surrounded Iona. He'd ask her about it later, he thought. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Raven beginning to apply a bandage to Jasper's neck, and decided they needed this explanation fast.

"Okay, so why is Wanheda so important?"

"I already told you people believe our swords absorb souls and grant power. It is the same for the wielder," Iona said, glancing down at her katana. "Wanheda has killed more than anyone else, thus their soul is pure power. If they kill Wanheda, they get their power."

"So, everyone is hunting Wanheda?" Monty questions.

Iona shrugged, "The plan would be to capture Wanheda, then give Wanheda to their commander to kill. That commander would grow stronger, and their clan would be unbeatable- by theory."

The group sighed, "And someone thinks one of us is Wanheda?"

"It's possible, yes."

Iona stared at the ground, the cogs in her head turning and turning until sparks ignited between the two pieces of metal.

When the massacre had happened, she was almost crowned Wanheda. The title fell through because she was apprehended, and Lexa never revealed how many she slaughtered- if she had, she certainly would have been called Wanheda, and thus hunted until the end of her life.

Instead, she decided to cover up the murders with a little bit of jail time, and then turning the woman into a commander.

No one would expect a commander to be Wanheda, especially not one as young as Iona, and the entire situation rolled right past as intended. Lexa had done a good job covering for her cousin, but it still haunted Iona.

Suddenly, Iona felt her arm being tugged, and she was soon hoisted into Bellamy's arms.

They had received their next mission over the radio, but Iona had been too zoned out to hear it, and that's what made Bellamy decide perhaps she was not mentally stable enough to ride.

"Miller, ride Athena back to camp," Bellamy ordered, "take Jasper with you."

Miller looked weary for a second, but nodded, heading over to the horse and setting off in the opposite direction they were going, Jasper clinging onto him.

Setting Iona down beside him, Bellamy acknowledged the empty look in her eyes, his heart clenching for her. Clearly, Wanheda as an idea had an effect on her, and it didn't go unnoticed by him.

If Iona thought they were all going to die, what hope did they have?

━━━✦━━━

sorry its short xoxo

next one will be longer and give insight to ionas past <3