Twenty

Ben

I've spent the last three hours pacing the halls of the hospital, waiting to hear anything about Grey. All they've told me so far was they he's been rushed into emergency surgery and would let me know something more when they can.

I had to call Grey's parents to let them know the situation, which ended with his mother sobbing into the phone, his brother screaming and his father trying to relax the situation. I definitely didn't miss the words from his brother as he said how could you let this happen to him? He was right. How could I let this happen? How did I not see it coming?

We should have just stayed at the hotel. I didn't think whoever this guy is would follow us all the way to Italy. It blows my mind how he's been able to track our every move so far. None of it makes sense.

All I know is that if something happens to Grey, there's no one to blame but myself. His parents trusted me to protect their son, and look where that got us.

I had called the detective back home and explained the situation to him, which he agreed to have officers positioned at the airport, checking for anyone who could be from the surrounding area where we live. This man is dangerous, and he may be targeting Grey, but who's to say he won't hurt anyone else?

Detective Jones said he would be taking the next available flight to us and would be here as soon as he could. In the meantime, they have been in contact with the department down here, arranging for officers to stand guard at the hospital and our hotel for any other suspicious activity.

Who would want to hurt Grey this badly? Does he have anyone who dislikes him? I just don't understand. Grey is the sweetest, most loving man I have ever met. I don't even think he could hurts fly if he wanted to.

It's not like I know really any of his friends, so I can't say for certain who could be the one to do this.

Grey's parents arrived around an hour after I called them, coming here as quickly as possible with the mid day traffic. Aiden approached me first, shoving me back while he gave me an earful of of most likely every curse word in existence.

His father was quick to pull him back, squeezing his hand into his son's shoulder until he shouted at the pain. I was at a loss for words, and in all honesty I don't really feel like I belong here. It's clear his family is unhappy with me, and quite unwelcoming. I mean who wouldn't be though, I almost got their son killed.

I muttered my apologies to them in a daze before walking off to another section of the hospital, leaving them alone to not make them any more uncomfortable with my presence.

I promised Grey I would protect him. That he would be safe with me, but that proved to be a lie. I should have seen him coming. I should have paid attention.

I unlocked Grey's phone that I forgot to give his parents when I left, and went to his photos, looking at the one he took just moments before the accident. He looked so beautiful. His cheeks flushed, smiling brightly. In one of the few he managed to take, his face was towards the camera, but his eyes were to the side looking at me. The moment I saw the look in his eyes, I could see the love he felt for me, but now he probably hates me after what I let happen to him.

I sighed, placing the phone back in my pocket, getting up from my seat to go see his parents.

Once I got there, his brother scowled at me, so I kept my eyes guiltily on the ground. "I just wanted to give you Greyson's phone. I'm really sorry I let this happen, if I had the option for it to me me who got injured, I'd trade places with him any day. I'm sorry he got hurt under my care. I will make sure all the hospital bills and amenities are paid for while you're here. I'll also have your belongings moved to a hotel near the hospital and a ride ready whenever you need. I can sense I'm not very welcomed here, so I'll leave you guys be. Just please, please let me know what's going on with him when you hear something. That's all I ask." I handed the phone to Greysons dad and without waiting for response, I left the hospital.