Rogue Swords

It didn't take long to return to the house. The entire walk back was preoccupied with your thoughts on the night's revelations. The reveal of a great sin of the so called followers of God was naturally a big one. It sounded like the Spartan II program of Halo gone wrong. Well, more wrong.

And now you knew of something more pressing. One of these seven pieces of Excalibur was in the hands of a nutcase too zealous for even said Church to tolerate. The one good thing was knowing who wielded it. Sure it matters more who's got the biggest stick, but it matters a hell of a lot more who's swinging it. There were bound to be multiple ways to counter him.

Of course, if he would ever show up, it was going to be as someone's attack dog. Raynare was obviously not a good person for a multitude of reasons, but it was quite revealing that it was not her original idea to kill you. She even testified as much before in your fight to allow Issei and Asia to get away. The two times she attempted to were because one, wrong pace and wrong time and two, was because prying that Sacred Gear from you was the only way to know what it was. Raynare also commented about disobeying her superiors. This one was clearly one of them.

But that was plural. There was more than one. And if what she was implying was any indication, the person Raynare was now working for was one of the superiors she disobeyed by attempting to kill you instead. There were at least two Fallen Angels in play here. One wanted to keep an eye on you, but not attack you. The other wanted to take you out in a preemptive strike. This Fallen Angel saw you and Issei by extension as a threat.

There was a connection here. This master was making his moves. Despite his setbacks, he was moving along his plans. But it clearly was not the act of all Fallen Angels, as shown tonight. Raynare had sided with the more peaceful one, though after the fact. It was reasonable to think she was not too happy with the enemy boss and also saw her current superior as the better alternative. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

One thing was for certain, you needed to forward this intel to the rest of the Devils. You needed to warn them.

You brought up your phone and dialed it.

"(F/n)? What is it?" Rias answered in an annoyed tone, as though she had been interrupted.

"Sorry to bother you, President, but this is urgent. I just got payed a visit by an old feathered friend." You said.

Her tone went straight to serious. "Raynare? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. She didn't attack me. She knows better." You answered.

Rias chuckled. "I would hope so."

"She was acting more as a messenger or informant."

"Informant for what?"

"A member of the Church was killed tonight." You explained. "The psycho that did it was a familiar stray priest. Raynare didn't want me to fulfill my promise on a false suspicion. But that wasn't all."

"What else did she tell you?" Rias asked.

"That Church member had an Excalibur fragment, Rias." A pause on the other end of the line was all you got, so you continued. "While healing Asia, I asked Akeno-"

"She told me before you left." Rias cut in. "She also said Archer was pissed."

"I'm looking into that one. He said something about it not being Excalibur, or rather her sword." You said. "But that's not all. Raynare left with another info drop. Turns out someone ordered her to kill me, and likely Issei. And he's in town. Any bets this guy is the same one behind attacking the Church?"

"Hmmm." Rias pondered it. "Keep your familiar on patrol tonight. Akeno and I will do the same. Whoever he is, he's not above taking cheap shots. See you tomorrow."