42. Surya

🔱

They rode towards the shadowy darkness that lurked at the very end of the territory of Balipuram. The loo was getting hotter and hotter with each passing second as they proceeded more towards it.

Soon the horses refused to move forward and now they were on foot.

'Bas.' (That's it) they turned to find Khyati looking at them seriously with her cheeks all flushed due to the heat in the atmosphere. There was a slight burn on the sensitive skin of her neck. Mheem was also right now at the highest of his capability to endure heat.

On Mrityunjay and Umika's advice, Mheem began taking Khyati away from the increasing heat and they both started walking in the opposite direction.

'Ashcharya ki baat hai ki aap abhi tak itne taap ko sehen kr rahi hai.' (Strange that you are still enduring this heat) Mrityunjay said to her as they walked side by side. 'Ye toh mai bhi keh skti hoon.' (I could say the same) Umika replied. 

'Shayad hum dono ka jeevan ashcharya se hi bhara pda hai.' (Perhap's both our lives are filled with strangeness) Mrityunjay said and then they were engaged in silence again.

Umika glanced at him and her cheeks immediately blushed on seeing him all drenched in sweat. She blinked and looked straight ahead, pretending to herself that she saw nothing and that 'nothing' is not affecting her in any way.

She cleared her throat and then asked 'Toh jab ye sb ho jayega......humara udeshya poora ho jayega.......uske baad aap kya kreinge?' (So when all this will end........our purpose will be fulfilled......what will you do then?) 

'Kya karunga?..........Vhui karunga jo pehle krta tha.' (What will I do?......The same that I used to) he replied simply without even looking at her.

'Punah Kashi jaa kar Nand aur bhoot preton ke saath Om Parvat pr rhne lagunga..........yaan ho skta hai uss se bhi uncha koi parvat dhoond loon' (I'll return to Kashi and start living on Om Parvat with Nand and the Ghosts.......or maybe I'll find a mountain higher than that)  he added.

'Uss se bhi uncha parvat?.......Parantu kyu?' (Higher than that?.....But why?)  Umika asked.

'Kyuki iss sansar se jitna dur rahunga utna hi kushal rahunga........Aur iss yatra ke baad ye aur bhi zada avashak hoga.' (Because the more further I live from this world the better it is.......Especially after this journey) he said the later part with a certain uncertainty in his voice.

'Aur vo kyu?' (And why is that so?) 

'Pata nahi.' (I don't know) he replied simply and it was true. He didn't know why.

'Mai batati hoon kyu.........Kyuki ye sansar aapko humesha meri yaad dilayega.' (I'll tell you why........because the world will always remind you of me) Mrityunjay's feet stopped and he turned to face her. She smiled at him a fake smile which he knew hid immense anger and sadness behind it.

She began walking again and so did he. He cleared his throat a little before saying 'Aap kya kareingi iske baad?' (What will you do after this?)

He looked at her as she smiled ahead. 'Aapke saath unche parvat par rahungi aur kya?' (Live with you on a high mountain, what else?) she answered enthusiastically and he frowned. What is wrong with her? In what language should he make her understand that he is not going to accept her?

'Mujhe laga aap smjh gayi hongi ab tak!..........Mai aapko apni ardhangini nhi bana skta!' (I though you would have understood!......I cannot make you my wife!) he said furiously and she just smiled.