Fourteen

Same trees. Same path. It felt like we were going in circles and then going anywhere where we thought Fay could have been keeping him. We didn't even pass any other cabins that seemed like he would have been in them. They didn't look suspicious or messed with. I felt like I was going crazy trying to find him. We had lost the map given to us to find him by one of the creatures that like to mess around. I don't even know how long we have been walking. While walking, Meadow kept trying to make me practice my powers.

"Enough!" I huffed, stomping my feet as I once again tried to teleport but only ended up somewhere I did not even imagine. Meadow sighed, placing her hands on her hips. "This is not working. I still cannot teleport to where I am imagining. Also, why are you making me practice my powers anyway? We need to find Rylan."

"I understand, but while we do that, it's best to practice just in case Fay tries to attack you immediately. We don't even know where they are. No clue. Nothing." Meadow explained.

"Of course, we cannot find him because you are making me teleport completely somewhere else, most likely away from him! Are you doing this on purpose? Have I trusted you for nothing? Are you working with her now? Was this all a trick? Part of the game?" I got all up in her face, nose flaring and eyes glowing. Meadow shook her head with each question that I threw at her.

"No. No. Why would you think that? I am not trying to make you teleport anywhere far from him, I promise. All I am trying to do is make sure you can escape when needed from her. I do not know how strong Fay may have gotten over these past few years. I do not know how strong you can get with so little time. I am only trying to help. I swear."  Her eyes looked genuine, her stance never wavering. I sighed, nodding my head. I should not have thought she would turn her back on us like that. On me, to be exact. I was worried.

"Worried about Rylan. I hope he's okay and that she's not doing anything to harm him."

"Knowing Fay, I doubt she would until we got there." Meadow motioned for me to follow her down the path. We took some sharp turns, then a shortcut away from our current path, only to end up on another path. "See? Even though you were teleporting, I knew exactly where we were last, so I was never trying to get us away from him. Maybe I thought if you teleported enough, it would lead us to him."

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a flicker of silver hair, but it was gone before I could even blink. I squinted as if I was seeing things, but nothing else appeared. Meadow turned, following my gaze toward the big oak tree where the silver hair once was. Perhaps it was a person. A scared one that thought we were enemies. I mean, we are not alone in this world. We passed so many different types of creatures. A horned serpent that minded its own business, thunder birds that almost knocked us around with its mighty storms, and a hydra that almost attacked us, but I was able to fend it off for a little bit, though it was creepy that their heads grow back no matter how many times you cut them; and a korrigan. They are beautiful yet dangerous. That's it. That's what I saw.

"A korrigan," I whispered. "Those fairy types. Silver hair? Green eyes. Elf-like ears. I think I just saw one.  I don't know what one would be doing out here. They should be in their place like every other creature has their spot."

"You're right, but ever since you and Rylan came into this world, everyone has been curious about you because you do not look like us. I mean, you are like us, just not in the appearance kind of way, I guess?" Meadow shrugged her shoulders.

"When Fay and I were born here, did we have any friends? Any creatures like these that knew us? I mean, I know it's been years, but I'm sure somebody remembers us." I questioned, averting my eyes from the tree.

"You know, I did not think about that. You guys did have friends. Two of them, to be exact. Such close friends until, well... I don't want to get into it." Meadow dismissed the topic. "Speaking of friends... I think I know exactly where we need to go."

We started on another journey, yet I couldn't get that silver hair out of my head. I wonder why she was hiding. Did she know me? Maybe she knew Meadow and asked what she was doing with me. It would be reasonable for any creature to wonder who I am. I don't have anything special about me other than my powers.  I'm just an ordinary human. Or at least I thought I was. Does that mean my parents are Fay's parents? That's what the email said. But even so, why would my parents hide this from me? How long were they going to hide this from me? Would I ever find out about Fay and myself if she never escaped, or would I have lived an everyday life forever?

"We're here."

As soon as we stepped inside the cabin, it was like I stepped into a memory—a memory of Fay and me.

...
"Please be careful where you guys are running!" Mother fussed, watching as Fay and I ran around the cabin.

"It's okay. Let them play." The lady of the house waved her hand, not bothered by the noise and rustle. The mother sighed, nodding her head as they continued their conversation. We were now gathered atop the stairs, looking down at them.

"I heard you guys have been practicing your powers," Estel whispered, her eyes sparkling with interest. Estel was a Korrigan, an elf who sang and danced for others. They are a beautiful kind with their long silver hair, white flowy dresses, and delicate wings protruding from their back. She was our only friend.

"Yeah, it's been pretty boring. I've already established almost all of my powers, so why am I continuing to practice? Just let us be kids." Fay rolled her eyes, her cheeks puffing out. Estel giggled because she was an only child. She did not have to go through any training. Only twins that were born differently had to train and learn their powers, such as us, because one was evil while the other was good. No one knows why we were born this way, but that's how life goes.

"You keep messing around during the training, reducing our playtime. I think you forget that." Arianna nudged her a little bit. If their training went well, they could play as much as they wanted to, but lately, Fay has been slacking off and messing around with her powers, so their playtime gets reduced more and more. They do more training than playing now, so she has no room to complain when it's all her fault.

"Well, I was wondering if I could see one of your guy's powers?" Estel peered over at them. Fay grinned, clapping her hands together. Arianna was unsure about hers since she did not want to burn anything. See, Arianna has fire powers, while Fay has ice. Maybe she could show me my teleportation? But she's still not too good at it...

"Come on. Quit with that look on your face. Just admit you don't know how to use your powers and let the real pro show you how it's done." Fay nudged Arianna before turning toward Estel. "Pay attention..." Her hands reached out toward the stairs as she covered them with ice. Estel gasped, leaning toward the stairs in excitement.  She sat on the stairs, and before Arianna could blink, she slid down them....a little too fast.

"What the hell, Fay!" Arianna closed her eyes, attempting to teleport, but when she opened them again, she was in the kitchen instead of the bottom of the stairs. Arianna quickly ran back into the living room, where Estel's mother and the twin's parents stood around Estel. The stairs were no longer covered in ice.

"What happened!? What did you do?" Estel's mother shouted, looking toward Fay. Fay looked down at the ground before looking back over at Arianna.

"Estel wanted to see our powers. Ari was a coward to show hers, so I showed mine instead. I was not expecting her to go down so fast, though. I swear! I forgot how slippery I can make the ice."' Fay exclaimed, holding her hands up innocently, but as soon as they turned away, Arianna noticed the smile on her face. She did it on purpose...
...

"Ari? Ari!" Rylan's voice broke through. I gasped, falling to my knees as he went with me, his arms wrapping around me comfortingly. "You okay? What happened?"

"You hurt our friend? Our only friend... why would you do such a thing!" I looked up at Fay, who stood there with her arms crossed. There were no words said. She could not answer the question. "Let's get out of here.." I stood up, turning toward the entrance.

"Not so fast. You still have to play a little game." Fay finally spoke up, her hand held out in front of her as the entrance was now covered in ice.