Ten

"You do know that she will find out who she is. You're not going to win, so why not give up?"

Fay leaned forward, staring at the magical wall that showed Arianna's every move. She stayed quiet as if pondering over what she was doing before turning toward her 'parents,' who were nicely tied and trapped in a bubble.

"You know...," She started, tapping her fingers on her cheek as she walked around the room. "This all would not be happening if you guys did not trap me away for so long and take away her memories. I'm helping her regain her memories that you guys should have done when she was ready."

"She was not ready for her memories to come back. We wanted her to live a normal life like any other kid. Not be the way she originally was." The mother shook her head. Fay tilted her head back, her black hair cascading down her back a bit as she laughed.

"A normal life!? What about me, huh, MOTHER? What about MY normal life? Didn't you think I should have a normal life too?" She hissed, storming up to the woman. "But no... Ari got that so-called normal life. Nothing is normal. The life she is having is not even real! It's made up. It's not her actual life. It's her human life."

"Give up, Fay. She's stronger than you. Always have and always will. What do you think you are achieving with this?" The father questioned.

"I will be achieving everything. I will get everything that I did not get to have. I'm going to steal the life of all of you!"

...
I tried once again to control the powers within me, but every time, it did its own thing like it was its own person. Plopping onto the ground, I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. Half of the forest we were in was mostly crumpled into ashes or blown away by the wind. I have a couple of bruises on my arms and legs from trying to teleport somewhere, only to end up crashing into the so-called location.

"It's pointless..." I threw my arms up as Rylan sat beside me, his hand on my lower back.  "If I can't control my powers, how can I save my parents?"

"You know powers aren't everything. There are still ways to save your parents, and we need time." Rylan reassured me, but I shook my head.

"No! We do not have time; my parents are in danger right now; this whole time that we have been moving and practicing," I gripped my hair. "Fay has probably been punishing or doing horrible activities to my parents. I can not just sit here and let her get away with this. We need to move. NOW."

Meadow and Rylan stared at me as if I was a whole different person before looking at each other. I couldn't tell what they might be thinking. Honestly, I didn't care because all I cared about was getting to my parents and going back to the life I had before Fay messed it up. Staggering to my feet, I started walking down a path.

"You don't know where you're going! You don't even know where your parents are!" Meadow hurried behind me.

"So? I'll figure it out one way or another."

"Mentyri jagon." A high-pitched voice interrupted. Then maybe I can help.

An average-sized boy stepped out from behind a tree, blocking the passageway. He had light brown hair and green eyes. He wore a skirt that consisted of green leaves as well as leaves wrapping around his ankles and his wrists. Blue wings spread out from behind him. His wings looked almost transparent and glowing; they were so beautiful that I could not take my eyes off them.

"I'm sorry. I don't think I understand your language," I furrowed my eyebrows. "Who are you?"

"I am Alvaro. I own this part of the land." The male pointed behind him at the many tree houses that once were so beautiful, like in the story books she read. But now they are old and breaking down.

"Alvaro is a diwata. A fairy. He is the ruler of this land, protecting the others and ensuring everything is going well. That everyone is happy and content with their lives here, but now that Fay is taking over every inch of this land and destroying everything, happiness is slowly fading. No one knows what to do. Everyone is giving up." Meadow explained, her eyes filled with sorrow.

I looked back toward the land where all the fairies sat against the houses, bummed. Their wings sulked to the ground, not once moving. It was an upsetting sight, and knowing this was happening all because of Fay brought anger to the table. Or maybe...

"It's all my fault," I whispered, clutching my hands into fists. Alvaro shook his head slowly. "It is! If I did not lose my memories, everything would be as before. None of this would be happening. I am so sorry.." I grabbed Alvaro's hands.

"Let me make this right. Not only to you but to everyone else. To this land. This world is my home. I just... I have to get my memories back. And my powers."

"You can do it. I believe in you, and I will help you as best as I can." Alvaro smiles, squeezing back.

"Alright, then, what are we waiting for? Let's get going, shall we?" Rylan grinned. Alvaro nodded his head before leading the three through the land. Only a few of the fairies glanced over at us, but everyone else looked like statues as we walked by them. I could only imagine how this land once looked and how it would take years or maybe months to repair everything.

"This is as far as I can take you. I am sorry." Alvaro stopped. "I must watch over my land and my people, but if you continue this path, it should take you to where you need to go."

"Thank you so much. Just hang in there. All of you." I hugged Alvaro before continuing down the Rocky path. Rylan had been silent the entire time, his eyebrows furrowed. I slowed my pace until I was right beside him. "What's wrong? You seem deep in thought."

"I just.... This is so complicated. I mean, what is even going on here, Arianna?" Rylan questioned, running his fingers through his hair.

"We're saving my parents."

"But how? Sure, you discovered that you have powers, but you do not know how to use them. You barely know anything about you here. That you were born here, and yet here we are, marching straight into hell. How do we even know that this mansion is the real one? Actually, how do we know this is where we need to go?" He continued, swaying his hands around before motioning toward the massive mansion in front of us, yet it was miles away.

Silence. I didn't even know the answers to his questions. Neither did Meadow. He was right, though. We were marching straight into hell. I didn't know how to control my powers. Fuck. How many powers do I even have? My memories are a puzzle I can not put together.

"We'll figure something out. We have to, Rylan. We don't have a choice!"I exclaimed. "My parents need me."

"Your parents wouldn't need you if they didn't keep secrets from you! Don't you get it!?" Rylan's voice rose. I stopped, eyes widening at his words. His eyes widened as if he was not expecting to have spoken to me like that. To have said those words. "Ari... I..."

I shook my head, looking down at the ground. "Maybe you're right. I don't know. I know I will do everything possible to save my parents. To go back to the life I had. Even if it isn't my actual life, you can help, or you don't. I don't care anymore. Meadow can show you the way out if you want." My voice was quiet, barely even audible, but I knew Rylan heard every word. Without hearing his response, I trudged on.