Eleven

I don't know how long I've been walking, but long enough to hear my stomach rumbling and the sun slowly falling asleep. I must have lost Rylan and Meadow, or they probably never even followed me in the first place.

What great help they are.

I trudged along the same path, needing to find a place to stay for the night. It would be too dangerous to continue during the dark. I slowed my pace, glancing around the area. With all my walking and mumbling angry words to myself, I had not gotten a good look at exactly where I'd been going. All I've been doing was walking down this same path. Was it even taking me where I needed to go? The only light that was helping me in the dark was the big moon looming over me, as well as some fireflies that flew around.

"Even though I rushed off like that, I hope they are okay. I shouldn't have left Rylan behind like that." Glancing up, I noticed what looked like a small cottage. What was this doing here in the middle of a forest? Or were there always cabins around, and I never saw them?

Quickening my place, I headed toward the cottage. Once I arrived, I pushed open the door and ran my fingers against the wall until I found the switch.
Everything was destroyed. A few pieces of furniture and paintings are scattered on each side of the room. The only objects standing were the statue in the corner behind me, a small couch, and a small dresser with a lamp on top of it. It did look like no one had lived in it. Almost as if someone had crashed into this place and left in anger.

This place isn't so welcoming. Hopefully, I won't get hurt.

I took a deep breath, slowly descending, stepping over some of the mess. Upstairs wasn't as bad as downstairs, though I was only seeing the hallway. Who used to live here? I pushed open the second to the last door, only to bump into a chest. Stumbling backward, I raised my hands into fists, preparing for any attacks.

"Ari?" A familiar voice broke out. "Oh, thank god, you're still alive!" Before I could react, I was pulled into a hug. The familiar scent of cinnamon engulfed my nose.

"Rylan? How'd you get here before me?" I questioned, pulling out of the hug as I looked up at him in confusion. Rylan shrugged.

"Your guess is as good as mine. Meadow and I kept walking. We went a different path than you but still managed to find you somehow. You're pretty fast when you're angry." He responded, glancing down at the ground.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have stormed off like that, especially with the situation that we are in."

"Especially since we are running out of time as well." Meadow popped out from behind Rylan.

"What do you mean? Running out of time?" I furrowed my eyebrows. Meadow pulled out a letter that she had re-folded.

"Guess Fay knew that we were coming here. It's like she's watching our every step."

I took the letter from Meadow, and as I walked into the room, I read it out loud.

Time is running out. Have you collected all your memories yet?

"Collected? All I know is that we're twins, and we have powers. What more is there?" I questioned, plopping down on the bed. Rylan plopped down beside me, trailing his fingers down my back. Meadow glanced toward my neck, where the necklace lay underneath my shirt.

"What is that?" She questioned, motioning toward the object. I almost forgot the cold metal pressed against my skin until she mentioned it.

"A necklace I found in my old room. We couldn't find the key, so I don't know what could be inside. A picture, obviously, but what kind?" I pulled the necklace out of my shirt, holding the pendant in the palm of my hand. Meadow quickly rushed over, taking the pendant into her hand.

"Fay has the same one. Did you notice? She never took it off. I made these necklaces for you guys." She whispered, rubbing it with her thumb. "This necklace is a symbol of sisterhood. If anything were to happen, refer to this necklace."

"Anything to happen? What do you mean?" I questioned.

"I suspected you would lose your memory since that's the whole deal, but... it doesn't make sense. You weren't..." Meadow murmured.

" I wasn't?"

"Nothing. Let's rest. You have more powers than you know. If you intend on beating your sister, you need to practice."

I nodded, noticing that Rylan had flicked on the light as the darkness from the outside flowed into the room. This was not the best place to sleep, considering anybody or anything could easily walk in and kill us, but it was better than being out in the open.

"Oh, wait. Since we entered this world, Rylan and I don't have any spare clothes with us. I don't want to stay in the same outfit." I tugged on my shirt, which was already smothered with dirt.

"There's a lake nearby that you guys can wash up in, and I can make some new clothes. Maybe something more from this era." Meadow nodded her head. "Well, good night." She walked out of the room, flicking the lights back off.

I slipped off my clothes and crawled into bed beside Rylan. "Hey, Rylan?" I whispered, squinting in the dark as if that would have helped sculpt out his face. I could feel him turn toward me as all I could see in the darkness were his eyes.
"Yeah?"

"Do you think..." I bite my lip, anticipating my question. "Do you think my whole life has been a lie? Like the life I've been living is not even my life. Is it somebody else's that I took over?"

"That's ridiculous. I mean, from what we've witnessed so far with this whole memory loss thing, having powers, having a twin, and such, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard."

"Rylan! I'm being serious." I huffed. I heard Rylan sigh as he scooted closer, pulling me into his arms.
"I don't think your life is fake. I don't think you are living somebody's life. I have no idea what's happening, but no matter what, you will always be my Arianna that I grew up with and love." He whispered as he stroked my hair. We stayed like that for a minute before finally drifting off to sleep.