Twenty-Eight

Fay

I've been waiting for this for years. Planning. Strategizing. Training. Waiting. For this moment, right here. For everything to fall into place. You must be wondering why I waited six years to put the plan in motion finally. That's an easy answer. I wanted to ensure everything was perfect and the project would go exactly how I wanted it to. I needed to make a point for everyone to see that I was wronged. That I never was the evil twin.

Arianna was. Always was, but she tricked everyone, manipulated and used her mind control powers to make it look like I was doing everything wrong. That I was behind all the evil pranks. I mean, sure, some of them I was, but others I knew were going too far. Yet I had no memory of how it happened until the aftermath. Where I was the one that got caught. I was the one in trouble. No one listened to me when I told them Arianna made me do it.  No. Fay made Arianna do it. I made Arianna do all of this because I'm evil. Yes, our personalities were different, but that didn't make me bad.

Growing up, we had no idea we even had abilities in the first place. Neither of our parents showed off theirs, and nothing remarkable occurred to us. By around the age of seven, we had been sat down and talked to about who we were. How rare we are. Our abilities are within us, and now is the time to learn about them. To say I was excited was an understatement. Knowing I could create any sort of ice was music to my ears. However, Fire was pretty cool, too, and ironic. Ice and fire. Two powerful things yet weaknesses to one another.

At first, Arianna and I were great with one another. Usually, siblings loved each other but were constantly at each other's necks. We weren't. Growing up, we were inseparable. And knowing we had abilities, together we were unstoppable. Every day, we were excited to go outside and train with Meadow. We learned everything we needed to know about our abilities and separate abilities that could help us in the long run. Mine was making portals while Arianna had mind control. We all learned at our own pace but always caught up to each other.

It was fun at first. Training together. Our first reward was a necklace that Meadow had created herself. It was a beautiful necklace that opened up to show a picture of ourselves. Our arms were thrown around each other, and we had the biggest smile. When we first handed the necklaces and keys to lock the picture in, Meadow explained to us that no matter what happens, we should always love each other. That we are the key to each other's hearts. We did not understand why she explained that to us, but looking back now, I understand entirely.

I do not know when it began that things took a turn. But as we continued our training, Arianna was the first to get ahead of me, and I was proud of her. I was slowly catching up, and that made me happy. So happy that I was more than willing to show it off any chance I got. Except for the one time we went to our friend's house. She always asked for us to show it off, and it wasn't like I did not want to, but it could be dangerous. I was not the one who decided we should show her. No, it was Arianna. Pushing and pushing and calling me a coward. That she was better than me because I had a hard time catching up, but we had different abilities. We all learned at our own pace, so what was I supposed to do? But she kept pushing me. She kept mocking me, and it pissed me off. Why was she doing this? This wasn't supposed to be a competition. She was making it one, and I was determined to beat her at her own game, so I used my abilities. I showed them off. Icing the entire stairs, making it look like one giant slide.

I was proud of myself for it as I could only freeze a few things, but nothing too significant. But in the blink of an eye, our friend was pushed a bit too roughly down the ice and flew onto the ground. I knew it wasn't me. My hands were nowhere near her. But when I had finally registered what had happened, the blame was put on me. Arianna claimed she had tried to get me not to show off my abilities. That it could be dangerous if we weren't careful. That when I had pushed our friend down, she tried teleporting to save her. But it was too late. Our parents believed her, and nothing I could say would change that outcome. And so, while our parents feverishly apologized, Arianna stood there smugly, and I could only stare. Who knew she had more tricks up her sleeve?