Twenty-One

Rylan

"You are free to go."

It's been a week and a half of the same routine. Wake up. Eat. Sit around. Talk to Fay and repeat. Sometimes, I would try to get information out of her, like about herself and why she is doing this. Why is Arianna's memories so important just to get her parents back? But as soon as I ask, Fay puts up a barrier. Doesn't answer my questions. Telling me it's all part of the game, so there was no way she would spoil anything.

Sometimes, she would pretend to let us go, but it was a lie. She would slam the door before we could even set a foot out. So now that she's repeating it. I do not believe for a minute.

"Hello? Did you not hear me?" Fay now stood before me, her hands on her hips as she tilted her head. I sighed, pushing myself off the couch as I crossed my arms.

"Yes, I heard you. But you said this how many times now?" I stated.

"I mean it this time. Arianna has escaped. It's time for the final game to begin." Fay walked back over to the door as she opened it, motioning for us to leave.

Was it true? Arianna escaped? She's okay? I took a deep breath, looking over at Meadow, who also didn't know if she should believe Fay or not but with a serious expression on Fay. We could only believe her, so we walked outside.

"So where is she? How do we get to her?" I questioned as I turned around. Fay stepped out with us, smoothing down her dress. Fay was always wearing something different almost every single day, as if her outfits were getting dirty or maybe she was waiting for the correct type of outfit to wear as sometimes I would hear her say, "'No. Not this one."

This time, Fay was wearing a long dark blue dress that split on the sides with a dark blue cape. Despite her tainted heart, she was beautiful, and she knew it by how she dressed and carried herself.

"Oh.." Fay finally looked up, realizing that I was talking to her. "You think I'm going to tell you?"

"I mean, yeah..."

"No. I'm not going to tell you. It wouldn't matter if I told you where the jail is because she would already be trying to find you. But what I will tell you is.. you guys should definitely meet at the final destination for the final memory."

"And where is that? It's not the mansion, is it?"

"Nope. That was just a diversion. Figure it out. God." Fay huffed, rolling her eyes before she circled her hand. A portal opened, and before I could say anything else, she stepped through, and the portal disappeared. But I did catch a glimpse of Arianna's parents, and it helped that they looked okay. Unharmed. For now.

I turned toward Meadow, who had her hand on her chin, deep in thought. Maybe she knew where we needed to go. Did Arianna understand where she might need to go? I hope so. I hope we can get to her fast enough. I feel like we are on a timer. And if we run out...

No. I don't want to know what might happen if we run out of time. We won't run out of time. I won't allow it. We will reunite, and we will get her parents back. Fay will not win. Starting to walk down a random path, I stayed quiet as Meadow continued to think to herself. Meadow and I haven't been talking much, considering, at the time, being inside the cabin did nothing for us. There was no plan, but I wish we did talk. At least a plan for when we did get out of here, but what would we have expected? We didn't know where we would be going or what would happen out here.

"What are you thinking about?" I probably already knew the answer.

"Where the final destination might be," Meadow answered. I figured. If anyone should know, it would be Meadow. So, I left her to think. Scanning our surroundings, I didn't know where we were.