Eight

I should be freaking out. I'm freaking out right now. I just teleported us back home. As soon as I wanted to go home, I felt a change of motion. Instead of the cold floor, I felt something soft underneath us. Opening my eyes, I realized we were sitting on the couch in the same position we were in at the jail. I jumped up immediately, rubbing my eyes as if I could not believe it. I do not believe it. Even though I found out that I am technically not even average, it does not mean I was expecting to just somehow up and teleport somewhere. Specifically wherever I imagine myself to be. I turned toward Rylan, who was also still sitting there, and his eyes widened—probably surprised as well that I could do such a thing. Taking a deep breath, I walked toward the nearest bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror.

I turned this way and that, seeing nothing unusual about me. Everything looked as it should be. My eyes were blue, like my parents while my hair was like my mother's. Curly black hair that stopped at my mid-back, except my mother had cut her hair to her shoulders. I resemble more of my father than my mother, though, other than the button nose, as my father called it. I sighed, exiting the room and returning to the living room.

"How did you do that?" Rylan questioned, standing near the kitchen table where my phone was still lying. I did not have an answer, even though he knew that. I walked over, grabbing my phone from the counter, but before I could answer, my phone vibrated, a message showing on the screen. I leaned against the counter, opening up the message. It was unknown, a number I had not seen before, but I knew exactly who it was.

You're moving slowly yet fast. Already found two clues but have so much more to unlock. Unfortunately, you must figure out who you actually are instead of who you are right now. The fake you. The fake life you are living. I wish I could show you, reveal to you, but I can not. It will defeat the purpose of this game—the purpose of your understanding and the purpose of me having your parents. Speaking of your parents, they are right. They are not dying yet, but they've been silent, watching behind the 'screen' at you. Yeah, they're watching your every step, hoping and praying that you will come to find them soon. Better hurry; I can not wait for one final battle with you.

Click. I shut my phone off, stuffing it into my back pocket. I need to continue, and I need to move faster and find more clues. My parents are still in danger; how could I, for a second, even forget that? This is not only about me but about my parents as well. There were no other clues around this forest other than this tree and the memories that had been unlocked. Memories of Fay and I. This necklace shows a picture of Fay and me as if...

"As if we were siblings..." I whispered, shaking my head in disbelief. I do not have any siblings, and I was an only child, though my mother did have a miscarriage when I was only seven; after that, she did not try again. My mother was okay with having one child. She didn't even adopt either. It was just me and my parents—no one else. But with what is going on right now, I am not quite sure. My mind is foggy, trying to show me something that I can not see but can't reach it. It's close yet far.

"What's going on? What was it?" Rylan asked, his eyebrows creasing together with concern.

I showed him the text message and watched as his gaze flickered from one sentence to the other, his mouth slightly moving before he shook his head, running his fingers through his hair.

"What other clues could we possibly find that could help?" He mumbled, staring at the ground. "What are the clues we have right now.."

"Well... this forest that was my whole childhood is a different memory than what I know now, which is... Maple was not who I grew up playing in this forest.  This necklace," I held up the necklace. "Fay and I are in this locket as little kids. And let's not forget that I just teleported us."