Twenty-Four

Rylan

"I'm sorry. Repeat that? I think I might have misheard you." I cupped my hand behind my ear. Peri shook her head before motioning in front of us, where many people were gathered in their little groups—specifically, werewolves in human form.

"Werewolf territory," Peri repeated once more, turning to start walking through. I grabbed a hold of her arm gently and swung her around.

"Why are we here? We're supposed to be finding Arianna."

"We have to go through here to get where we need to go." Peri brushed me off. I cleared my throat as I glanced over at everyone. It wasn't like I was necessarily scared, per se. I love werewolves. I plan to get a tattoo once I make it out alive- when I graduate. But knowing they are real. Right in front of me. Different types of feeling.

As if finally noticing our presence, all eyes turned toward us. Or are they looking just at me?

Yup. They are looking right at me. Mixtures of yellow and blue eyes stared directly at me with hunger.

"Are they friendly? Cause they sure don't look friendly." I questioned, stepping back.

"They are extra friendly if you don't get on their bad side," Meadow explained.

"Right. Well, they are looking at me like I'm food." I motioned, taking another cautious step backward.

"Human. You're human." Meadow whispered, immediately standing in front of me. Now, I'm not saying she can not protect me, but this height difference of her standing in front of me like this is honestly hilarious.

Suddenly, all the werewolves bolted toward me, and I feared for my life.

"Halt!" A low but booming voice shouted, causing all the werewolves to stop in their tracks. They straightened but stayed snarling at me. I didn't care. Whoever this person was just saved my damn life. I placed my hand on my chest, taking a deep breath. I thought I was a goner.

The pack dispersed, stepping aside as a tall man walked toward us. From his aura, I can tell this man must be the pack's leader. An alpha, to be precise. If his red eyes didn't give it away, then the way the crew stopped at his orders and made room for him was enough evidence for me. I was 6'3. This man stood a whole two feet taller than me. His black hair was pulled back into a low bun with one strand of hair falling in front of his face, and surprisingly, he wore regular clothes, unlike every other creature I have come across: a regular gray shirt and black pants.

"Connor. Thank you." Meadow placed her hands down as she sighed in relief. The man now known as Connor smiled brightly, the serious expression on his face disappearing. He turned slightly, tilting his head to the side, and some of the pack walked away, returning to whatever they were doing in the first place. The rest remained where they were, watching us. Or me. Most likely me.

"Meadow, it's so good to see you. I haven't seen you in a while. How have you been with... you know. Everything." Connor greeted, pulling Meadow into a gentle embrace before holding her back at arm's length as he examined her. Meadow smiled softly, returning the embrace.

"It's good to see you too, Connor, and I'm sorry. With you know..everything.. I've been more focused on repairing than anything else, but with Fay out of control, I can not do anything. I'm so sorry. I'm sure you guys have been struggling to survive." Meadow's eyes fell behind Connor at all the cabins that belonged to them.

I followed her gaze, and my own softened at the sight. Even these cabins, as well as their surroundings, were the same as the others that we passed. There was no life within. Everything was practically dead, and the thought of how everyone was surviving with this made my blood boil.