Seventeen

Rylan

It's been nonstop, nothing. And I mean literally nothing. Fay has not bothered us whatsoever for the past three days. She'll pop in to ensure we are fed and not trying to escape, then dip out to whatever or wherever she is. Meadow and I have tried our best to find any source of the crack in the wall or an item that could break the door down but to no avail. There was no getting out of here unless Fay let us out herself. I've been worried sick about Arianna. Wondering if she is doing okay and what she is going through. Clearly, Fay has been watching her but won't tell Meadow and me anything. Sleeping has been no help to me. My dreams are filled with what could go wrong while Arianna and I are separated. What could I do to get out faster? Get to her faster.

"There was nothing neither of us could have done." Meadow had told me one night as I lay helplessly awake. Maybe she was right, but that did not stop the thoughts of what-ifs from pouring out of my head. I couldn't even tell what time or day it was.

All I knew was that the days were passing. I knew it had been three days now, but was it Monday? Tuesday? Shit, I don't know. The fourth day has come. Thursday? Monday.. Tuesday.. Wednesday...It doesn't matter. Meadow and I sat at the big entrance in silence. Neither one of us spoke as there was nothing to say. We had already planned out every possible route or objective, but without getting Fay to release us, all we could do was sit around.

"You guys are boring, you know that?" Fay stepped out of the portal she had created, crossing her arms as she frowned at us. I didn't even react to her, as this was something that she said every time she came to check up on us. It was the truth, though, as we couldn't find any escape routes; we had been lounging around with nothing to do. Fay stood before us as she placed her hands on her hips, tilting her head to the side. The resemblance was incredible. I mean, I've seen twins before, of course, but it's different when, suddenly, you find out your friend has a twin of her own, and now all I can see is Arianna besides her snarky personality.

"Since you guys seem so bored, and we will have some ways to go depending on how long Arianna takes to escape, I'll hang out with you guys. You can ask me any question, and I may or may not answer." She mostly threw the whole question game toward me as she pulled a chair before us and sat down. I straightened myself up now, interested in what she would spill. Meadow stayed quiet beside me as there was nothing she would need to ask besides the vital question. Why was she doing this?

"Why the parents? Why not maybe me or herself? Not saying I would have wanted this, but you could have taken her and made her play the game without anyone getting involved, you know." I arched an eyebrow. This was probably a dumb question, but it was still a question nonetheless. A smile crept onto Fay's face, but she didn't respond. Not yet, at least. Her eyes roamed around the whole interior.

"You're right. I could have taken Arianna instead. Made this game a lot easier, but you see.." Her eyes landed back on me. "My parents were involved in this, too. They agreed to send me to the hellhole you call.... They did not listen to me. No matter how much I cried and pleaded with me. They would not listen to a single word I said. It's not like I wanted this. I didn't want this to happen." Fay explained as she gripped the handles of the chair. It almost made me feel sorry for her. Almost.

"Then why did you not try, Fay? Try to be good. To control yourself..." Meadow spoke up now, her voice coming out timid but soft. "I wanted to help you. I tried to help you, but you refused. You pushed me away." Her eyes held so much love and care. I knew I did not know much about the relationship between Meadow and the twins, but I could tell that Meadow was like a second mother or maybe even a sister- seeing as I didn't know how old she was to them.

"I did try! I tried so hard, god dammit!" Fay shouted, slamming her fists against the chair. "But you guys never paid attention. You guys didn't see..."

"You created chaos, Fay. Starting with your parents, Arianna, and then the whole place." Meadows' tone was coming out stern now, her eyes narrowed. I could only sit back and watch as if I were a bystander. Not even that. I was a shadow in the background, watching everything unfold.

"Do you think she is trustworthy?" The question was directed toward me now.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows. What kind of question was that? "Is who trustworthy?"

"Are you stupid? I'm obviously talking about Arianna." Fay stated, frowning.

"Of course she is. We wouldn't be best friends if she weren't." I answered, crossing my arms. Fay only nodded before standing up as she stretched her arms above her head.

"I must go check on my parents again, as well as Arianna, so that I will see you guys soon." Fay moved her hand in a circular motion as a portal opened before her. It took every ounce of me not to jump in there with her.

"Wait!" I held my hand out, causing her to turn around to look at me. "When are you going to let us go? Seriously."

"When she escapes... if she escapes.." With that, Fay was gone.

If she escapes?