Part 11

Alaire~

"What do you mean?!" That was my cue. Getting out of bed, I skipped downstairs seeing Westly with a bottle of scotch in left hand and the phone in his right. "What are you talking about? Diarrhea? Why won't he even talk to me?"

He fell back on the couch, groaning. I poured coffee in my favorite cup, sipping it. "Look, I have no idea what's going on but- could you just give me a minute?!" Westly rubbed his head, rocking himself on the chair. "I can't believe this is happening to me."

Like the innocent and caring wife I am, I rubbed his back. " What's going on baby? You seem so stressed out today." 

"I have no idea what's happening! I woke up with a nasty headache this morning, then my phone started ringing like crazy. Half my investors pulled out of the deal! What the hell am I supposed to do now?!"

"Don't give up baby, you could always turn things around. Don't you have some meetings you have to go? What about the other half of your investors?" 

"You're right, I can turn this around, I have meetings set up for this evening." He thanked me, kissing me forehead. "You really are my everything." Oh this son of a bitch has no clue. "Don't flatter me too much."

~

~

"Your work is amazing!" Alissa gushed, trying to hug me but I blocked her. "This is just the second floor. I'm not close to finishing." She grinned at me. "Thank you again. I'm suppose to meet the fiance later, same time next week?" She called out walking to the door. "Sure, just make the appointment with my assistant."

For some strange reason, I was too calm. Like my husband wasn't cheating on me behind my back for years. Veena walked in, looking at me with concern. "Are you sure you're alright, you look down right evil."

"I'm fine." Sitting at my desk, I started typing up some  documents for previous works but I couldn't focus, my mind went back to the first day I met him.

~

"I love you more anything, you know that right?" Westly smiled at me, kissing me cheek as we walked down the street from our first date. "Of course I know that, I love you much more." His hands wrapped around me waist, making me stop. 

"You really mean that?"

"Of course I do, I know daddy doesn't see it now but he will one day because I'm not giving you up." His eyes shifted for a second.

"I know why he doesn't like me, I'm not as rich as him, I can't take care of you." I stopped him. "I can take care of myself, thank you very much but I know what you mean. He'll come around."

"If you really say so then-" He got on one knee, pulling out a small brown box." I felt my heart skip several times as tears ran down my eyes. "Alaire Amara Achebe, I loved you the moment you accidentally spilled your drink on my shirt thinking it was Prada then cried."

I laughed. "I thought you got it as a gift from someone special." His smile widened as he opened the box to see a tiny diamond ring. "I know it's not the biggest diamond or the most expensive but will you do me the honours of marrying me?"

"Yes, I'll marry you." He placed the ring on, kissing me deeply. At this point, I didn't know we were surrounded by people who were clapping for us. "I'm so happy but we have to tell daddy."

"Don't worry, I actually have a plan." Was all he said.

~

Flashback

CRASH! "How dare you, you piece of shit!" He swung his gold club at Westly as he chased him through the room. Glass was everywhere. "You ask my daughter to marry you without my blessing?!"

"Daddy, if you would just listen!" I begged but he turned to me so swiftly that I jumped back. "And you! You are my daughter! My world and above. How could you do this with a man that has nothing going for himself?"

"Daddy, I love him and yes I knows how cliche this all sounds but I honestly can't help it. He honestly makes me so happy and I will marry him. With or without you there." My father looked at me hurt and defeated. "I just want you to be happy bu-"

"I am happy, I want to marry him." Westly walked up behind me with some papers in his hands. "I want to start a business but I wanted your expert advice." It took him a minute but he took the papers from his hands, walking toward his office.

We followed close behind as he sat, pulling out his glasses, reading through the documents. We all stood there in silence. Westly's hand gripped mine and I gave a comforting tug. After a while, my father looked at me in my eyes as I stood there with a pleading face.

He then looked at my fiance. "This might actually work." Westly cheered, giving me a hug. I was so happy for him. "I'll become your first investor, call it a wedding present." I ran up to my father, giving the biggest hug. "I love you so much, thank you so much daddy."

He pulled away from me, looking at me dead in my eyes. "Are you absolutely sure that this is what you want?" His voice was so soft.

"Yes."

"Then anything for you, my everything."

~

From that day on, I watched my husband rise from the ground up, supporting everything that he did, all his accomplishments. All the failed dinner dates, late nights at the office. Forgetting our second anniversary.

The way he ignored me when I did something displeasing or the way he tried to cover my body so he wouldn't have to see it when he goes to sleep. The way he pretended not to see me when I went to visit him at his job. He claimed he was busy and didn't even see me.

~

"He never really - He never really love me!" He never loved me, it was all to get to my father and his money. The tears couldn't stop falling, sob after sob wrecked my body as I got louder. All the pain I've ever felt from this marriage surfaced all at once, leaving me a mess.

"Alaire! Alaire! Breathe!" The next thing I knew, I was on the floor, gasping for air, black dots spotted my vision. "H-He ne-." Faces were blurred at this point until I heard someone yell. "Get back! She needs air." 

Arms wrapped around me, picking me off the floor, covering my face. "Clear the way." Shuffling feet moved as I was carried to the sick bay.

"Alaire, can you hear me?" I didn't dare move. "You're breathing normally again." Veena moved whatever was blocking my face. The saddest look graced her face. "What happened just now? You had me scared."

After a short while, I looked at her. "He never loved me, he never loved me, Veena, it was all to get to my father's money. He never wanted m-me. He never showed me off to his friends because he didn't want anyone to know he was married. He carried Alissa because she was more beautiful than me."

"Alaire-"

"He treated me like shit for years but I never saw it because I was too in love to see it. I always made excuses for it because I always thought that it was me."

Someone cleared their throat and there I saw Lucian standing there with water in his hand. 

"Would you like me to come back?"