Part 44

Alaire~

My birthday was in a few days and I wasn't feeling very happy about it. Since that day I found out about Lucian lying about his location, he's been more absent than usual. I know he may be planning a surprise birthday for me but the other part of me thinks he's cheating.

I've tried talking myself out of it because I know he would never do that to me but there's this tiny voice telling me that he's cheating. "Why do you look so sad, boss lady?" Christopher asked me, handing me a cup of coffee. "Nothing, just a little stressed out. For the first time in years. I'm stuck."

"But you just finished your design two hours ago. What are you stuck on?" Oh right. "It's a private project I'm working on. It's getting the better of me." He nodded. "Write it down. Whenever I have a problem, I sit by myself and write down everything in detail. I read it over and find my problem. And don't write about how you feel, write down the hard facts about the problem."

"That might work, thank you."

~

That evening, I sat in my office and a book, writing out the situation and all the facts I can think off to make a solid case. "He's been late for days on end but he runs a company. Why does he keep avoiding me then?"

"He has never shown discomfort or annoyance around me. He kisses me and tells me he loves me every chance he gets. He gets phone calls late at night but he answers them right in front of me. Plus it's always about business."

"Then why did he lie about being at work? Anyone can act. Where did he go and why? Am I being too clingy? I feel like I'm going crazy doing this. The man is allowed to go places." I slammed the book when my thoughts started getting too loud. Throwing the book in the corner, Lucian popped his head through the door.

"Hey beautiful. I made something for you to eat. I noticed you've been stressed lately. Are you alright?" I nodded with a small smile. "Yeah. I just had a stump with my project." I lied but he seemed to buy it. "You know, I don't normally like it but let's watch Tangled."

A real smile appeared on my face. "You'd do that for me, Eugene?"

"I'd do anything for you. Come here." I walked to him as he wrapped his arms around me gently. "Did you take your medication today?" He asked. "Yes. Don't try distracting me, let's go watch Tangled."

"Whatever my lady wants." I was so wrong about him cheating. Lucian is too good of a man to do that to me. I know that now and all those silly thoughts immediately left my mind.

~

"Baby, please forgive me. I know that this is unforgivable but I can't take you to our dinner this evening." Today was my birthday and Lucian said he was taking me out to celebrate but work called him, something leaked and they needed him.

How can I be mad at him? It's not something he can control. I was disappointed a little but he was needed. "Go! We can always go out some other time." Lucian is a very busy man but he always makes time for me. No matter how hectic things get.

"I'm so, so sorry. I love you so much, please don't hate me." He kissed my hands. "How about I as Veena to take you instead?" I was about to protest but he shook his head. "Please call her. I don't want you alone on your birthday."

"Fine. Just go already."

~

Third Person~

Lucian jumped in his car, parking in the corner. His phone rang. "She called. Go make sure everything is in order." Veena told him as he smiled. "On it." He looked in the back of his car, seeing his clothes and most importantly, the ring.