Part 7

Emma sat on the edge of the bed with her knees to her chest, her chin resting on them. It had been too long of a day and one hell of a first day back after their road trip.

"Hey," Damon said softly from the door way, Emma glanced at him briefly before turning back to looking at the wall.

Damon walked to the bed and sat down next to her, facing the same way she did. They sat in silence, both of them thinking of how to proceed.

"I can show you what happened," Damon suggested and offered her his hand so he could give her a play by play of what happened at the Grill.

Emma shook her head, "I think I'd rather have someone wrap me in iron chains, it would probably hurt less than I have been hurting all day long."

Damon's head dropped and he looked at his hands on his lap, "I was the one who suggested she drink from me, but then I remembered how intimate something like that is and I tried to stop her. The bloodlust took over her brain and she grabbed me before I could leave; everything past that is blank, I would never hurt you like that, I would never do that to you Em."

Emma nodded, "But you did, and the worst part is, you are never going to know just how much that hurt."

Damon sighed, "Do you know what Gabriel made me see in 1864? It wasn't the 1864 I remember. I had to watch you walk down the aisle toward Stefan, and all I could feel was my heart absolutely shattering. So yeah Em, I know exactly how that feels."

"Did you know it was fake?" Emma asked.

"That's the worst part," Damon said as he grabbed her hands in his, "I did, and all I wanted was for my Emma to find me; and then you did."

Emma smiled slightly, "I hardly wear dresses now, I can't imagine how weird I looked in Victorian getup."

"You looked beautiful," Damon said softly as he looked over at her, "I definitely prefer you in leather though, less buttons and more cleavage."

Emma rolled her eyes and uncurled herself slightly, "So, now what?"

"We go back to how everything was?" Damon suggested

Emma shook her head, "What happens when you forget again? What if it becomes permanent?"

"I don't know," Damon said quietly, "I'm so damn sorry Em."

"You're lucky Ric isn't here for me to go crying to."

"Yeah," Damon chuckled, "I'd already be dead."

"We shouldn't have come home, everything was so good," Emma laid her head on Damon's shoulder.

"I love you Em," Damon said as he leaned over and kissed the top of Emma's head.

"I love you too."

Damon stepped out onto the porch of the boarding house to see Emma and Stefan working on an old motorcycle. He smiled as he watched Emma wipe sweat from her brow and leave a slight grease mark from the back of her hand. Emma laughed at something Stefan said.

Damon decided it was time to break up the party, "Good day for a midlife crisis, 164 years, I'd say your over due."

Emma rolled her eyes and stood up, "And what do you call me helping?"

"That depends, is your job holding the flashlight or are you actually getting to play with the tools?" Damon asked sarcastically.

"Elena's transition to a vampire has been depressing," Stefan sat on the seat of the bike, "I'm gonna help her have some fun."