Part 35

Emma sat on the floor of the cellar and watched in wonder as Damon concentrated on getting inside of Elena's head and fabricating memories to make her feel nostalgic. Stefan came inside just as Elena had pushed Damon back out of her head and into reality.

"You still have her locked in the safe? You've been in her head for an hour. What, still nothing?" Stefan raised his eyebrow.

Damon didn't respond to his brother, instead walking up to the large safe that he had locked Elena in, he opened the safe door and a weak Elena nearly fell out, but Damon stopped her from hitting the floor.

"How you doing in there?" Damon asked, "Is the old you ready to come out and play?"

"Go to hell," Elena said weakly, but with as much fire as she could muster.

Damon shrugged and shoved her back into the safe and closed the door, "Okay, back in you go. We can do this the nice way, or we can do it the other way, but either way, we're not stopping until you turn your humanity switch back on."

Stefan sighed sadly and walked back out of the room. Emma could tell that Damon was troubled, this was his fault, he had been the one to use his sire bond to turn Elena into the monster she had become.

Caroline had come to visit and see how things were progressing with Elena. After a bitter exchange Caroline had made her way back upstairs to sit with Emma.

"We need to get Bonnie over here," Caroline sat back and crossed her arms, "there has to be something she can do to make Elena feel something."

Emma shook her head, doubtful, "Elena has reached a point where, if I didn't know her personally, I would be on the hunt. She's too far gone."

"I'm calling her," Caroline announced before pulling out her phone and dialing Bonnie, she waited for her to answer, as soon as she did Caroline jumped into action, "Bonnie! Where have you been? I've left, like, ninety-million messages."

Emma rolled her eyes at Caroline's obvious exaggeration and went back to flipping through an old tome.

"Studying French, we have final exams, remember?" Bonnie said as if it should have been second nature to Caroline to already know that.

"Ugh, don't remind me. Look, this whole thing with Elena...it's about to get brutal, and I know that she's not your favorite person right now," Caroline sighed, "but I could really use you over here."

"For what, moral support?" Bonnie's tone became accusing, "Or so you can check up on me?"

"Moral support!" Caroline was quick to defend herself but also quick to admit her other motive, "And maybe just a tiny check-in to make sure that Silas isn't playing any more pesky little mind games with you."

"I'm fine, okay? Silas doesn't control me anymore. And I think I'll pass on the invite. Elena tried to kill me. I'm not quite ready to forgive and forget. I'm gonna call you later, okay? I gotta go," Bonnie hung up before Caroline could try to sway her anymore.

Caroline huffed and turned to Emma, "Why aren't you studying?"

"Parce que je parle déjà couramment le français," Emma smirked at she looked up.

"That was hot," Damon grinned at Emma as he entered the room and sat next to her, she put her legs over his lap and laid back in a more comfortable position.

"I hate you," Caroline said frustrated as she leaned back in the chair roughly, "thank God I had to do all your school work, otherwise you would've gotten valedictorian."