Part 22

Emma sat on the ground outside of the cellar where Stefan had put Damon before bleeding him almost the point of desiccation. She made circles in the dirt on the floor as she waited for Damon to wake up.

"Easy there buddy, you lost a lot of blood," she finally heard Stefan say, letting her know that Damon was starting to come around.

Damon groaned, making Emma wince, "You bled me out?"

"Yeah, I didn't really have much of a choice. Kol's compulsion is still in effect, so you need to stay locked up. We don't have any vervain, so...this was the only way I could weaken you," Stefan explained.

"You sound real torn up about it," Damon said sarcastically, "shouldn't we be going after Kol, make him decompel me or something?"

"Yeah, yeah, sounds real easy Damon, I'll get right on that," Stefan returned his brother's sarcasm.

Damon began coughing as he tried to sit up, "At least let me see Elena."

"Come on. You know you can't do that. With the sire bond, all you have to do is tell her to let you out of here. It's too risky," Stefan crossed his arms, "you should be asking if Emma is okay, since she saved your ass."

Damon coughed again, "You're really enjoying this, aren't you?"

"It's better for Elena if you stay in here for now, at least until we find the cure, and then once she's no longer sired and you're no longer compelled, you can both do whatever the hell you want," Stefan said angrily as he headed for the door.

"Stefan, wait. Stefan!" Damon began begging his brother to look at him, "Stef!"

Stefan shut the door and locked it behind him, he looked down at Emma and kneeled down next to her, "You can see him if you want, but don't let him out."

"I don't think he wants to see me," Emma said with a soft smile that was meant to show that she was okay, but really it just showed Stefan how much pain she was actually in.

The both looked up when they heard footsteps on the stairs that led down to where they were.

Stefan stood up and crossed his arms, "Going to see Damon?"

"I need to talk to him," Elena said sheepishly.

Emma kept her eyes on the ground to stop herself from glaring.

"Well, you can't, he'll just ask you to let him out," Stefan stood firm.

"I won't let him out," Elena tried to defend herself.

Stefan shook his head, "You won't have a choice, you're sired. Anything else?"

"What are you doing with Rebekah?" Elena asked, "She tried to kill me."

Emma raised her head slightly at the revelation.

Stefan scoffed, "And this will be the second time that Damon tried to kill Jeremy. So I guess nobody's perfect, right?"

"Are you trying to punish me?" Elena asked, Emma couldn't help but roll her eyes at the girl trying to make everything about her again, "I don't know how many times I can apologize."

Emma raised her eyebrow, and stood up, "Apologize for what?"

Stefan ignored Emma's question, "I never asked you to. You can do whatever you want Elena, I don't really care."

"You're hurt," Elena tried to seem empathetic, "you're hurt and acting out, Stefan, this isn't you."

"Sure it is. You've just never seen me like this. You don't know what I look like when I'm not in love with you," Stefan smirked, "I'll let Damon know you stopped by."