Part 39

Elena ran up to meet the trio once Damon parked the car.

"Where is Caroline?" Stefan grilled her.

"Inside looking for Bonnie," Elena told him, "I think we should split up. Damon, Emma, and I can look outside while you and Caroline look inside."

Stefan nodded, "Let me know if you find anything."

Stefan ran into the school to meet up with Caroline.

Elena began walking quickly, Damon noticed her rush, "Someone's an eager beaver."

Elena suddenly stepped in front of Damon to force him to stop walking.

"Where is Katherine?" She demanded an answer from him.

"Now I get it," Damon put his hands on his hips and looked at Elena like she was crazy, "one brother shoots you down, so you ask the other."

"Now is not the time Elena," Emma started to pull Damon along to continue the search.

Elena ran to keep up with them, "You know, don't you?"

"Do you not notice all of the end-of-the-world crap going on right now?" Damon kept walking quickly.

"Tell me that you don't want her dead. After everything that she did to you? Stringing you along for hundreds of years?" Elena tried to hit a nerve with Damon.

Damon shook his head, "Elena, we don't need to list all the reasons that I hate Katherine. What we need to do is find Bonnie. Come on."

Elena blocked his path again, "I don't care about Bonnie, I care about killing Katherine."

"They're together, okay? So maybe you should do a little less threatening and a little more looking," Damon glared at Elena before he started walking again, this time he pulled Emma along.

"We need to check the second floor," Emma told him as she led them to a back entrance.

Damon called Stefan on his phone to get an update. Caroline and Stefan had found something down in the kitchens, but they were trying to find a way to get lower.

"If I remember correctly, there's an entrance to the basement," Damon informed his brother, "somewhere off the boiler room."

Damon hung up and looked at Elena.

"What?" She demanded an update.

Damon shook his head, "You're gonna have to stay here."

"Are you kidding me?" Elena challenged him.

Damon was loosing his patience "We really need to stop Bonnie from doing the spell, she is going to kill Emma, and if you get all murderous and screw it up-"

"Is that really the reason?" Elena stood her ground.

"As self-righteous as Stefan is, he has a point. Behind your rage, there is a tidal wave of feelings, all of your guilt, all your grief, every emotion you've ever put off, and killing Katherine's gonna let it all in. And if you can't handle it, then we're back to square one, and this time it's gonna attract hunters," Damon tried to explain.

Elena shook her head to disagree, "And if I can? What if killing Katherine takes away all that grief and guilt? What if killing Katherine finally lets me feel all the good things that I've lost? Damon, help me. As soon as I get over this hurdle, I'll be me. I'll be able to think clearly, I'll be myself, and everything will go back to normal."

"What normal?" Emma cut in, Emma suddenly gripped her chest and fell to her knees, "Bonnie is doing something."

Damon knelt down next to Emma, pulling her into his arms as she struggled to breathe, he looked up at Elena reluctantly, "She's strong, and crafty, and you'll die."