Part 28

"You dragged me all the way to New York City because you were feeling nostalgic?" Elena put her hands on her hips and looked at Damon annoyed.

Damon shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose, sharing her annoyance, "No, I dragged you to New York because in a matter of three days, you managed to piss off everyone in Mystic Falls. A little more difficult to do in a city of millions."

Elena shrugged uncaringly, "I was hungry."

"You were reckless."

"Emotionless, there is a difference."

"Look," Damon huffed in frustration, "all that matters is that when I lived here, I fed like crazy and had a blast and went undetected for years."

Elena stopped walking and crossed her arms, "So, we're just here to have fun? What's the catch?"

"There's no catch. Look, you wanted out, I got you out. You wanted to feed, I brought you to a city-sized, all-you-can-eat buffet. That's the beauty of New York; there's so much life that a little death goes unnoticed," he pushed Elena along, "come on, let's go get some lunch."

Damon continued showing Elena all of the easiest hunting spots in New York for the remainder of the afternoon, until he was finally able to sneak away and call Stefan for an update from home.

"Hello brother," Damon said into the phone as soon as Stefan picked up.

"Where in the hell are you Damon?" Stefan sounded annoyed.

Damon leaned against a brick wall, "Just a small town call New York City."

"What do you mean you took her to New York City? Are you nuts?" Stefan almost yelled into the phone.

"And that's why I didn't call you back after the first twenty times you called."

"Where is she now?"

"Out exploring, maybe eating a hot dog...vendor."

Stefan groaned, "So I take it your hunt for Kathrine is off?"

"Relax, man. This little joyride is actually a cure hunt," Damon looked at a photo of him and his friend in Billy's bar from his time in New York, "that vampire that Katherine sent after Hayley was a friend of mine. He lived in the city. Will got vampires fake identities, and I'm sure that Katherine was one of his clients."

"And Elena's okay with this little field trip? Just yesterday she was living the vampire high life. She doesn't want the cure."

"That's why I didn't tell her," Damon smirked at himself, "look, I just called to check in on Emma."

"Why didn't you call her phone?" Stefan asked.

"I did, it went straight to voicemail," Damon explained.

"The last time I saw her she was walking out the door after learning of your little road trip with Elena, so she is probably pretty confused and pissed, ya know, after that kiss."

Damon closed his eyes and sighed, "Damn."

"I'll find Emma and see what I can do to fix this, keep Elena out trouble," Stefan ordered his brother before hanging up.

Klaus shrugged his shoulders and clasped his hands together in front of him, "So some blood went missing from a few hospitals. What about Elena? Don't vampires with their humanity off tend to overindulge in human blood, or were you the exception?"

Stefan rolled his eyes, "It's not Elena."

"Well, let's say for a moment that it was Silas. I'm struggling to see how this affects me," Klaus continued to seem unbothered as he glanced between Caroline and Stefan.