Part 31

"No sudden moves, no tricks, and no Katherine-ing," Damon shoved Kathrine forward while he had looked around, "wow, a quilt and a fish tank. Who the hell are you?"

"A very old lady with dreadful taste," Rebekah commented as she watched Katherine walk over to a bookshelf and begin pulling books off and pushing others to the side.

Damon moved closer and saw that she had a hidden safe behind it. Katherine opened the safe and was shocked when it was empty.

"It's gone!" Katherine exclaimed semi-convincingly, "The cure, it was in the safe, now it's gone!"

"Bzzzzz," Damon imitated a buzzer, "not falling for it, where is it Auntie Katherine?"

"I swear, it was in the safe," Katherine continued to insist.

"What, just like Elijah's really your boyfriend and this is really your life? And for all we know, this isn't even your house," Rebekah put her hands on her hips.

"Yeah," Damon agreed as he looked down at Katherine, "it doesn't look like the Katherine I know."

"Maybe you don't know Katherine at all. Did it ever occur to you that you have no idea who I really am?" Katherine tried to look pitiful.

Damon looked back at Katherine with malice, "Did it ever occur to you that you're not that deep? This whole small-town girl thing, we all know it's an act."

"Where is the cure?" Rebekah asked through gritted teeth.

Katherine smirked at Rebekah mockingly. In retaliation Rebekah charged at Katherine but Damon held her back.

"Whoa, whoa, hang on, we need her alive. The cure's not here; you check upstairs. I'll check down. I got this," Damon said confidently, Rebekah relented and walked away, he rubbed his hands together as he looked around the room, "so if I was a paranoid, distrustful sociopath, where would I keep my most prized possession?"

Katherine folded her arms and laughed, "This ought to be fun."

"Because I'd want it to be close, but not on me; accessible but not obvious. I'd want to keep it safe, but not so safe that it'd be too difficult to grab and run," Damon looked around the room and his eyes landed on the fish tank, "well, that is a fancy little treasure chest-in a tank with no fish. I think I'm gonna have to check that out."

Damon put his hand in the water and immediately gasped in pain, it was scorched red as if he had put it in boiling water.

"Vervain water, looks like we have a winner," Damon began to bend over to grab a net that sat next to the tank when Katherine blindsided him and shoved his head into the tank.

Damon let out a scream as his skin made contact with the water, alerting Rebekah to the scuffle. Katherine grabbed the chest and quickly turned for the door, but Rebekah was right there to stop her.

"Give it to me or you're dead," Rebekah growled.

"You're gonna kill me anyway. So what's more important to you, huh? Killing me, or getting the cure?" Katherine took out the small pill shaped object that was in the chest and tossed it behind her, knowing that it would lure Rebekah out of her way, she dashed out the front door as soon as it was clear.

Rebekah managed to catch the pill before it hit the ground, she looked at it victoriously.

"Look, Rebekah...don't even think about it," Damon was still on the ground, healing from the vervain, "let's just talk about this, like the two rational vampires that we are. Rebekah?"

Rebekah stood up and continued staring at the cure, "Oh, give it a rest; me taking this cure is the best thing that will ever happen to you."

"Don't do anything stupid," Damon warned as he prepared himself to get up and get the pill away from her.