Chapter 17: New Opportunities, Old Life

Chapter 17

New Opportunities, Old Life

"I have good news and bad news," Sir Simon said as he entered the conference room. "Which one do you want to hear first?"

It's been a few days since my disastrous presscon and my team and I are currently experiencing its aftermath. Sir Simon called for a meeting and no one, except Sir Red and his team, could decline. They're all busy with House of Red's debut preparation.

I flashed Sir Simon a fake sweet smile. "Good news, syempre."

Ano kaya 'yung bad news? Dapat yata 'yun inuna kong malaman.

"Okay, good news," he said, acknowledging my answer as he sat down at the head seat. "The press and the general public still think you're a breath of fresh air compared to your contemporaries who are properly media trained."

"So they still love me," I remarked with a grin on my face. Ignoring his emphasis on media training, I need to know what the bad news is about!

He nodded. "Fortunately. Yes, they still love you because of your bluntness."

"Bad news?" I asked, a little impatient to hear what the bad news was about.

He took a fortifying breath before he finally answered. "Some brands pulled out from negotiations..."

Oh. "Is this because of my comments about branded clothes? Wala naman akong pinangalanan, ah? Tsaka masama na ba magkaroon ng opinion?"

"Hindi naman sa ganun, hija. It's just that these people are very protective of their brand," he explained before starting his daily sermon to me. "I know you're still getting used to being famous, but your words have power. Your words can sway other people."

"Does that mean you're going to finally media-train me?"

"Yes," he answered firmly. "Don't take it the wrong way, Asher. It's just that we've been in the business for so long, we know how fickle the general public is. One day, you're this shiny new toy they love, and then the next, you're the number one person being targeted by internet trolls."

I sighed. Gets ko naman. "I get it, Sir Simon... I know I need it."

"I'm glad you're being agreeable with this. We only want to protect you but this goes both ways, you need to work on your honesty."

I know that. They haven't steered me in the bad direction naman. Well, there's one pala. My disastrous go-see. But other than that, I trust his judgment.

"Okay, now let's talk about your social media presence."

Napakunot ang noo ko. Ano na naman problema sa social media accounts ko? Akala ko okay na? "I'm following your advice, Sir Simon. I'm being active naman po. I post three times a week like what the team told me to do..."

"That's great," he commended. "Do you engage with your audience?"

"Not really." Saan ba papunta ang usapan na 'to?

"So you haven't checked your DMs?"

I shook my head. "Like I said before, most of them are dick pics and disgusting messages left by dummy accounts," I reminded them. "And after reading like 5 of them from the first week my pictures went viral, I stopped opening them and let them rot in my Message Requests."

Sir Simon winced. "That's good, I guess."

Bigla akong naalarma sa sagot niya. "Why? What's going on?"

"We just want to make sure you're not having problems on that front."

Umiling ako. "Wala naman po."