Chapter 46: Justice and Closure

Chapter 46

Justice and Closure

I was on top of a stepladder, hanging fairy lights on top of the curtains in our bedroom. Storm was the one who tackled the curtain assembly while I volunteered to add the lights myself. I was about to ask Storm what he wanted for lunch when my phone started ringing.

Without me asking, he took my phone from the bedside table by my side of our bed.

"Get down, baby," he said before handing the ringing phone to me.

I leaned down and kissed him on the lips before stepping down because now I can do it whenever I want to. "Who's calling?"

He flashed me a worried look as he answered. "It's not a listed number. Do you want me to answer it?"

"No, it's fine. Baka from work. I'll drop the call if it's not," I smiled at him, appreciating his overprotective ass. "Tapusin mo na 'yung pagsabit ng lights, please."

He gave me a mocking two-finger salute. "Aye, aye, captain."

I answered the call after taking the phone from him. "Hello."

"Hello. Good morning, this is Commissioner Maria Cepeda from the Philippine Sports Commission. May I speak with Miss Asher Flores?"

"Speaking," I answered, a bit reluctant. Why is the Commissioner calling me? Matagal na akong wala sa mundo ng athletics.

The commissioner greeted me again with her cordial voice. "Hello, Asher. How are you? Is this a good time for a call?"

I looked at my boyfriend and read his look, he wanted to know who it was. "Yes, it's fine."

"You might be wondering why I called you," she started, and it immediately made my suspicions rise. What the hell is this call for? "I won't beat around the bush, Miss Flores. This is about the career-ending incident you had at the SEA Games."

My stomach bottomed out.

Grabbing Storm's hand, I pulled him close to me as I sat down on top of our bed. I have a feeling na kailangan kong umupo para sa tawag na ito. "Okay... I'm listening."

And I was right. The Commissioner started to explain everything that has been going on in the Philippines Sports Commission this month... and I was reeling. I could not believe what I was hearing from her.

I should've put her on speaker. I don't know how am I going to repeat everything to Storm.

"What happens now?" I asked, finding my voice after her long-winded explanation. Storm's eyes flashed, worried and alert. My hand squeezed his as my own eyes started to water.

"It's up to you, Miss Flores if you want to press charges against the people who hurt you. But rest assured that sanctions will be given to the individuals responsible for your grave injuries. They have been found culpable by the independent investigation we hired as soon as we heard about the video circulating to our members."

She also explained earlier that the reason they were reaching out to me directly was because of the stalking incident I had recently. Oh, to be fucking famous. Gusto ba nila ng medal? Some Brownie points from Asher fucking Flores?

They're only reaching out directly to me to cover their tracks. To make this more personal to me. How can it not be? That day started the destruction of my career in tennis.

"I don't know what to say right now," I answered, my voice now hollow. "I have to call my team."

"I understand," she answered immediately. "You can reach out to us, Miss Flores. We will cooperate with the authorities."