Chapter 43: House of Red

Chapter 43

House of Red

"Are you sure about this?"

Storm asked, for the millionth time, hovering like a helicopter parent. I smiled at him even though my eyes were closed, as I was being painted on by the makeup artist assigned to me.

Without opening my eyes, I answered him patiently. "Babe, saglit lang ako sa stage. I'll be walking out there twice only."

I heard him sigh. "I know, I just want you to know that you don't have to do this."

Opening my eyes, I caught the attention of my makeup artist. She gave me a look that conveyed she was annoyed at my stage boyfriend. I turned to Storm and took his hand, squeezing it tightly to send a message that he was starting to annoy me also. "We're already here, babe," I said to him, voice firm. "Please just support me on this?"

He took a deep breath, then took my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. "You're right. I'm so sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass, I'm just really worried that you'll tire yourself out."

"After this, all I'm going to do is rest," I reassured him, reminding him of my bargain with my bosses earlier. If I was to walk tonight, I would have to rest and heal from the attack for a few weeks. That was the deal and I am going to honor it.

"I know you'll kill it, baby," he said to me with a gentle smile. "Leave everything behind here and do your best out there."

Flashing him a grateful smile, I gave him a nod. "I will. Thank you, baby."

"How are you feeling? Nervous? Excited?"

"For some reason hindi ako kinakabahan," I murmured as I watched the hairstylist stand behind me and start styling my hair. "My nerves were probably beaten out of me last night."

"Please don't joke about last night," Storm huffed while giving me an irritated look.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Too soon?" I asked, teasing him.

He glowered at me. "Asher."

I pulled him close to me and kissed him on the lips, the red lipstick on my lips staining his lips. "I love you," I whispered to him, brushing the stain off his lips.

"Pasalamat ka, mahal kita."

"Okay, lovers. Tama na 'yan, kailangan na magbihis ni Asher," said by the makeup artist, returning with her arms loaded with brushes. Beside her was Sir Simon's EA, Miss Lyn. "You need to step out, Storm. Sir Red said you need to sit with Sir Simon and Asher's parents now."

Smiling at him, my eyes crinkled at his chastised face. "Wow. First row seat?"

He leaned closer to me again and kissed me on my temple, where a scratch was covered. I tried not to wince but he still caught it. I'm just happy he didn't comment on it. "I'll wait for you there, okay?"

"I'll find you."

He left me alone after that and my makeup artist was given the space to finally finish her work. I am very much aware of the eyes around me here backstage. But what was I to do? Kumalat na sa news at internet ang nangyari sa akin kagabi. Nagtataka siguro sila kung bakit tumuloy pa rin ako dito. Baka 'yung iba ay tingin nila, I am enjoying the 'special treatment' given to me right now.

I don't.

I didn't like to be separated from the other models. I didn't like the amount of security personnel stationed in my corner here backstage. I didn't like the glares and whispers from the other models hired for tonight's show. But what am I going to do? These were the conditions of my bosses.