Chapter 3

Ally sat in the cold laboratory

Ally sat in the cold laboratory. A small white glass table in front of her. The doctors are standing around her, looking at their spreadsheets and data. And Guardian Belikov standing in the corner of the room, closest to Ally.

One of the chefs that cooked the food for the Dhampirs, walked into the room towards where Ally sat. He had a plate in one hand and cutlery in the other. He placed the plate in front of Ally and the fork and knife right next to it.

There was chicken, rice and broccoli on the plate. It was still warm because Ally could see the steam rising out of the food and it smelled amazing. She didn’t think that she would ever like the smell of human food ever again and yet here she was. Her mouth, watering as she waited  for the doctors to give her the go-ahead for her to take a bite of the food.

Ally picked up the cutlery and took the first bite of her food and that deep hunger inside of her that the blood didn’t take away was filled. She closed her eyes and sighed in relief. It worked, she didn't throw up the food or the blood, and it gave her more energy.

They came to a conclusion that she needed a bit of blood a day and a normal amount of food to stay healthy and strong. The doctors were, at first, concerned about this new discovery. They were worried what all of this meant for the future of the Moroi species. But honestly, Ally couldn’t really care about their worries right then and there. She was happy that they made an actual breakthrough, something that gave her the chance to take one step closer to going back home, to the Academy, Lissa and Rose.

The next day she saw that her breakfast was already laid out for her. A bowl of porridge, that had all the needed nutrients and minerals that every human needed to stay healthy, and next to it was a small cup with blood poured into it. The blood still grossed her out and she still got a little nauseous with the thought of drinking it. She sat down and just looked down at the bowl of porridge in front of her when she heard the cafeteria doors opening and saw Dimitri walking towards her.

“Are you going to eat that or just keep staring at it?” He asked and it almost sounded like he was teasing her as he pulled out a chair for himself and sat down with her at the table, in front of her. She was truly shocked by the relaxed mood he was in. He never really talked to her and just nodded at her most of the time.

“The doctors told me that they wanted to start earlier today. They want all the time they possibly can have to do their tests and all.” He said as he leaned forward with his elbows against the table.

She was quickly snapped back to reality by what he said. “Did they say what type of test they wanted to do today?” she asked him as she started to eat her porridge.

He nodded. “They want to test your reactions when you get exposed to the sun.”

Ally looked up from her bowl and the spoon dropped from her hand, concern written all over her face.

“That sounds...uh fun.” She said sarcastically, trying to hide her fear. “I guess I’m gonna need all the energy I can get.” She said as she finished her bowl of porridge and raised the small glass of blood.