Chapter 8

“Are you out of your mind?” Viktor yelled at Ally and Lissa as they sat in front of him with their heads hanging low

“Are you out of your mind?” Viktor yelled at Ally and Lissa as they sat in front of him with their heads hanging low. He’s been yelling at them for the last 20 minutes. He sounded so disappointed in them. “And you.” Viktor pointed at Ally. “You’re the last one I’d thought who would do something like this.”

Ally felt guilty but also mad, mad about everything that had happened. She couldn’t go to the funeral. She was sent to a clinic with strangers the second she woke up from a coma. She’s scared that someone will find out that she used her magic defensively. Luckily she knew not to talk about it because Dimitri whispered to her before she walked in that she shouldn’t mention anything about her using her magic.

“I just wanted to go to a place where I could finally mourn. A place that reminded me of happy memories of them.” She looked down, not because she felt ashamed, but she was trying to keep her tears at bay. “To have a memorial.”

“And yet it almost led to us having a memorial for you!” Viktor fired back but he calmed down and kneeled in front of her. “Don’t you see, you are a part of this family? There are people here that care for you, so much. How do you think we would have felt if one of you or even worse both of you were killed in the attack?” he asked rhetorically.

There was a moment of silence and then Viktor sighed. “Alina, you may go?”

Alina looked up at him and then gave Lissa a quick look, asking if she was going to be okay alone. She gave Alina a brave nod, Alina stood up and immediately opened the door and walked out.

She walked out of the building where Viktor lived and saw Dimitri waiting outside for her. While she was being yelled at by Viktor, he was with Alberta, giving his report of the night. He felt nervous… The great Dimitri Belikov felt nervous because he knew he had to lie on his report. But his nerves calmed the second he thought about what his job was. His job was to protect her, to put her first. He went so far over the line but it didn’t matter to him because he was doing what he has been bred to do. He’s protecting his Moroi.

He stood in his normal Guardian stance, hands behind his back and spoke in a relaxed tone while giving Alberta his report, saying everything he and Logan agreed to say in their reports.

Alina saw what was coming for her from a mile away when Dimitri walked towards her with determination. She could just see the speech concocting in his head.

She didn’t feel embarrassed anymore. She was irritated and annoyed and was not interested in getting it from him, or anyone else.

She picked her hand up, to keep him from talking and said. “Please, whatever speech you are about to give me, save it. I already received a handful of words that would not be any different from yours.” He just stood there, staring at her with anger… no, disappointment.

“So, what? Are you also angry at me for defending myself.” she asked annoyed with a dry laugh.

“No.” He stated but his eyes burned her as he looked deep into her eyes. “I’m disappointed at you for putting yourself in that situation to begin with.”