Chapter 18

Allina was sitting alone in the back seat of the SUV, with two other unfamiliar Guardians sitting in the front seats.

Alina could see the packed SUV driving in front of her through the front window. Lissa and Jesse’s SUV with Lissa’s Guardian, Logan and two Novices, Meredith and Eddie.

Alina volunteered to ride alone in the second SUV, not wanting to be in the same car as Jesse and she could tell by the annoyed expression on Jesse’s face, he didn’t want her in his SUV with them.

Alina didn’t want to leave her sister all alone with the asshole but she knew Eddie and Meredith were with her, which made her muscles tense a little less. But there were still the issues with Dimitri and Rose, who went off to Mikhail’s hometown. 

 And the never-ending mystery of Instinct, bouncing around in her head as she tried to understand what it was and if she truly possessed it.

Luckily, the silence inside the car and the sound of car wheels rolling over the road was enough of a lullaby to gently pull Alina into a soft sleep.

Her worries disappearing, for now. Her worries for the future being placed to rest, for now.

Alina wasn't sleeping too deep, she knew of the uncomfortable position she was sitting in, the slight stinging on the side of her neck muscles. The muffled voices of the two Guardian’s sitting in the car with her. The sun shining on her face, the light peeking through her shut eyes.

She was lifted out of the haven when the light suddenly disappeared and darkness moved over her.

Her body was suddenly pushed forward by an invisible force and luckily, she had her seatbelt on. Otherwise she would have hit her face against the front seat, hard.

She force woke her up immediately, eyes wide open. Looking around her, checking the sides of the car until she looked straight forward. She couldn't see clearly past the SUV in front of her, but she could make out the massive rocks blocking the road through the tunnel.

The SUV was silent and all she could hear was a muffled voice talking over the radio to one of the Guardians with her. The Guardian replied with a "Yes Sir" before she saw Logan stepping out of the SUV in front of her, followed by Meredith and Eddie.

The Guardian in the driver’s seat turned towards her. He was serious but looked relaxed for someone in his mysterious situation. “Stay inside.”