Chapter 15

The sound of the gravel under their feet was a rhythmic beat to their conversation

“What happened last night, I went to my room to take a nap and when I got back I heard some stories going around that you guys went out of the wards so save Christian and Mason?” Alina asked Dimitri.

“I don’t want to give way too many gory details,” Dimitri said but it was mostly for his own sanity. “Christian’s Strigoi parents have been leaving “gifts” for him.”

“What type of gifts?” Alina asked carefully, wanting to protect herself from nightmares.

“The kind that should belong to another’s person’s face.” Dimitri answered and Alina just cringed at the thought.

“Christian’s parents left him a note with coordinates. Mason saw the note and when he and Rose figured it out that Christian went beyond the wards, Mason went out as well to find him. Soon after I saw Rose, she told me what was going on and then we left.” Dimitri told her and she nodded as they walked further.

“Was there any Strigoi?” Alina asked curiously but still scared of what she was about to hear.

“Yes,” Dimitri answered immediately and looked down at Alina walking next to him, a scared look on her face.

“And we took the Strigoi down with no casualties and no one was hurt.” He reassured her and she looked up at him and his confidence killed all the worry she had twirling around inside of her.

Dimitri studied her a little longer, her hair was braided, which is almost never the case, she always wanted her hair close to her face, to hide away in it, away from the world around her. And Dimitri was pretty sure her skin was glowing even in the night. The hop in her step was also almost never there. She looked more energized with her arms swinging around as she walked next to Dimitri as he cared her gym bag for her. She seemed more confident in her step.

“Alina?” Dimitri grabbed her attention as she looked around up at the stars and the full moon, at the little bit of light coming from the West, the sunny rising in about an hour and a half.

“Not that I’m against it or anything, but where is all this confidence coming from?” He asked her as he gave her a one over again with a proud smile on his face.

“Alina giggled and looked down, wanting to hide away in her hair but she forgot she French braided it for training. “I don’t know. Must have been all the blood I drank earlier.”

He stopped her in her tracks the second he heard her say it. The memories of her throwing up and getting sick because of the blood she drank made him worried. “You drank blood.” He asked with a steady voice but the worry in his word was dominant.

Alina saw the worry in his eyes and heard it in his words. “Oh, I entirely forgot to tell you. My instructor asked if I was willing to try to eat my food separately for the blood. So I’ve been drinking a little bit at a time. And now, I can drink a whole blood bag without getting sick.”