Chapter 17

T

T

he silence in the room was a comfort but it should start to feel constraining after a while. Sitting alone with just your thoughts and uncertain emotions.

Ally was sitting on her dead after she finished cleaning the red mark on her hand, not wanting them to get an infection. Her marking ceremony was a day ago and she successfully dodged every single person wanting to talk to her, to either give her their sympathies or to ask her why she looked so pale.

Well, what do you expect, my best friend got turned into a Strigoi and my other best friend had to kill him. And let’s not forget, I got punished for protecting the people I care about.

That was the sarcastic, in the face answer she wanted to give them. A way to get them as quick as possible off her back.

The mark stopped bleeding but the redness around the mark on her hand has stayed just as saturated as they were when she received the marks.

Ally heard the clicking of the door lock and a second later the door swings slowly opened as Lissa walked in. Ally pulled her hoodie sleeves over her palms, hiding the mark from her sister who still didn’t know about what happened to her.

The two sisters stared at each other with sad eyes. Lissa walked towards her sister and slowly sat down next to her on the bed, and she made her head on Ally’s shoulder and Ally laid her head onto Lissa's.

“This is terrible.” Lissa said with a weak creaking voice and Ally nodded. “I don’t know how Rose does it, she seemed ready, but I saw the tears… building up just slightly out of sight.”

Lissa just came back from seeing Rose before she would leave to receive her first Minija Mark.

Ally wrapped her one and carefully around her sister’s arm, not wanting to hurt herself, but still wanting to comfort her sister.

Lissa moved closer to her sister and wrapped her hands around Ally’s. The sign of comfort was unexpected, and the pain afterward rushed through Ally quickly.

Ally winched, pulling her hands out of Lissa’s grip and stood up from the bed as she took a step away from her sister.

Lissa's eyebrows rose in confusion, and she started to stand up next to her sister. Starting to wonder, to get worried what was wrong with her sister.

“Are you okay?” Lissa asked as she reached out her hand to her sister to comfort her but got even more worried when her sister flinched her hands away for Lissa.

“Alina, what is going on with you? Are you hurt?”

“I’m fine. It's just some scratches I got when we were in the old church.”

“Have you gone to the nurses? Hear let me see.” Lissa stepped closer to Ally and pulled up her sleeve before Ally could step away to stop her.

Lissa’s whole body froze when she saw the familiar mark she learned about in school. The marks someone receives when they have used their magic for anything but peaceful reasons. She burned… killed a Strigoi.