Chapter 24

“It's called Instinct

“It's called Instinct.”

“I thought Instinct was your ability to use your Magic more effortlessly and better than any other Moroi?” Dimitri asked her, confused. He knew Alina was trying to figure out what Instinct was but he never knew that she found out what it meant.

“It is, but that is a small piece of it.” Alina clarified as she turned her body to face Dimitri. He was confused but patient, waiting for Alina to enlighten him.

“Instinct is explained in different ways, it depends what book you were reading, but the correct and true definition was stripped out of our history, just like the truth of Vladimir and maybe so many other things.”

Alina looked over Dimitri’s face, searching for any evidence which would lead to him shutting her out again.

“But Adrian explained it to me and gave me a journal of a Moroi who was in an Instinct Pair.”
“An Instinct Pair?” Dimitri asked, his eyes brows pushing against each other, showing how confused he was.

“Yes, it is a bond between a Dhampir and Moroi, very rare and sacred. It’s a complimentary bond. But yet, so much more.” Alina got excited. “It’s a-“ She stopped herself.

Dimitri saw her hesitation, and knew why. She was afraid that he would think she was crazy, that this whole thing that was ripped out of their history was crazy.

“What is it?” Dimitri asked her gently, showing her that he wasn’t going to run away this time.
“It’s an emotional, neurological connection between a Moroi and a Dhampir… between us.” Alina was cautious about what she was saying, not wanting to dump it all over Dimitri all at once.

“And what does this connection do to us?” Dimitri asked interested, not just for the sake of Alina but he was genuinely interested in it.
“It… It causes the Dhampir to have a more sensitive sense and a Moroi to have a stronger Magic essence.”

Dimitri nodded to everything she was saying, listening intently at every word and keeping his question to himself, until after she explained everything.

“But there is also a bond created between the Dhampir and Moroi. A Dhampir has the ability to feel their Moroi’s emotions, mostly while they’re fighting or when the Moroi feels anger, scared, which also makes the Pair very protective of each other, in different ways.”
“And you're saying that we have this, that we are an Instinct pair?” Dimitri asked her after a couple of seconds.

“Well, technically, we are not one yet, because it is still new, it is growing stronger but not entirely formed. If that makes sense to you.”

“Yeah, it does.” Dimitri said softly as he scanned his eyes over her face, but then he looked up at the stars, releasing a long breath.

“I know this is a lot of life changing information, all at once, so I understand if you need some, understandable time to wrap your head around it.” Alina said as she turned her body, sitting next to Dimitri again and looking with him up at the stars.