Chapter 9

The sun was starting to set and Ally could see the orange, yellow, pink and red sky through the thin openings of her window’s blinds

The colour made her feel at ease and it was just the perfect temperature for running.

Tying her shoe laces before softly walking out of the dorm room she was sharing with her sister and Mia since Rose has been kicked out, back to the Dhampir dormitories.

As she walked down the hall she tried to gather all her curls into a bun and secured it with the elastic that was always around her wrist or in her hair.

As she walked out of the dormitories she saw her Guardian waiting for her in his sweatpants and hoodie, identical to her.

His hair was slightly messy, it looked like he just combed his finger through his hair.

Dimitri heard the door and looked around and saw Alina exiting the building.

“Good morning.” Alina approached and the both of them used the Mortal circle to greet each other at the same time. Pressing their finger against their foreheads and then waving it towards the person they wanted to greet.

Without saying anything they started to stretch and warm up before taking off on their run. They ran at a slow pace because Alina’s body was still fairly bruised after the Strigoi tackled her to the ground.

Dimitri knew about the bruises because Alina told him about them as he walked her back to her dorm the night before. And he saw her slowing the pace and slowed his own to stay next to her. He asked her if she wanted to stop and run back but she just stubbornly shook her head.

Alina slowed down to a stop after a while, the pain on her side and back started to get worse and she quietly decided to stop.

Alina leaned forward with a winch and rested one hand on her knee and the other on her side, where one of the bruises formed.

“Alina? Alina, how much pain are you in?” Dimitri asked worryingly, wrapping one of his arms around her front to keep her upright.

“It’s just my side that’s bothering me. Just give me a sec.” she replied while taking in a deep lungful of air and blowing the air out, hoping the pain would go with it.

“What do you want to do?” Dimitri asked her after a while as she stood straight again.

“Let’s just walk back.” Alina suggested and the both of them started to walk, at a relaxed pace, back to the Academy buildings.

“I haven’t said thank you.” Alina suddenly said and Dimitri was genuinely confused about what she meant.

She saw his confusion and elaborated more. “For covering for me, you and Logan.”

Dimitri was confused, no other Moroi that he had ever guarded, thanked him afterwards. To think that a Moroi saying thank you to a guardian was… was almost taboo.