Chapter 23

When Alina heard that Viktor was competing in the trials designed to produce an heir to the Moroi throne, against Tatiana Vogel, she almost laughed herself breathless

The trials tested the contender’s body, wisdom and spirit and she knew Viktor didn’t have a lot going for him.

And he lost in the physical endurance test, because let’s face it, he is a lot older than Tatiana.

But Alina knew that Viktor would destroy Vogel in the other two trials because he had years and years of experience under his belt, working with the council and the rest of the Moroi and Dhampirs.

Ons the one hand, Alina would rather have Viktor king than Tatiana Vogel.

But then on the other side, Alina also didn’t really care about the trails, she didn’t really care about who won. She didn’t really care about what would happen to the secret Moroi world because the second she graduated she would resign her rights to have a Guardian and leave the toxic world.

It has taken more than enough from her. Her parents, biological and adopted. Her humanity. Her long forgotten right to be free with her Instinct bond.

And she has had enough. She can’t be as soft as she was, because she won’t survive, not in the current world she lived in.

Alina sat on an uncomfortable couch as she watched Christian practicing his fire magic. She’s been giving him some tips, which was weird. He was the one has lived with his Specialized Fire Magic for most of his life, and here comes a newbie who was almost flawless with her fire magic, teaching him how to use his fire magic more effectively.

“You know, I thought you’d be rubbish when you asked me to train you, but your timing’s improving.” Meredith complemented Christian as she walked towards her bag, packing everything up. “You’re getting those off pretty quick.”

“I need you be faster.” Christian criticized himself.

“And you need you practice your wrist movement.” Alina said with a grey tone, almost like she wanted to help but at the same time not interested in what they were going. “They’re crap.”

Christian looked back at Alina, she was no longer that sweet girl he met in the church. She was silent, dead in her eyes and spoke her truth even if it was hurtful against others.

And it all started when she came back from the Royal tour.

Meredith on the other hand liked the new carefree Alina, she wasn’t too guarded with her worlds anymore and she enjoyed it. It felt fresh when everyone around you reeked with all the bullshit they would talk about.

Meredith giggled and then turned back to Christian. “I would also need to get faster, if they catch me helping a Moroi secretly use their magic to fight.”

“Okay, I’m guessing were done for today, I’ll be taking my leave.” Alina said as she got up from the couch, straight to the point as she walked towards the exit of their secret training room.