Chapter 11

Ally’s reflection was something foreign to her, standing there with neat, hairsprayed hair to keep all the curls forced into place. The three inch torturing devices on her feet that fit perfectly with the bedazzled dress she was wearing, or at least that was what Mia said.

Luckily, Alina had a say in the amount of makeup she wanted to wear and all that will be said is that the minimum was done.

Alina never really studied herself in the mirror when she was wearing dresses and makeup, not needing self-promotion on how she looked. But standing there, in the tight dress and the bone breaking shoes, she pushed the pain away for a second and just looked.

A small smile reached her face. She was thinking what her parents would say, seeing her like this. Their baby girl, in a dress, almost a grown up, reading for the Moroi society.

The alarm went off, telling Ally that it was time for her to go to her sister’s ceremony. Lissa and Mia were already at the ceremony so she looked around, checking if she had everything and then opened her door and walked out.

Dimitri was waiting for her outside her room with a black suit and his hair perfectly combed back with a little bit of gel to keep it in place. His expression had an unreadable shock written all over it.

“Yes, yes, I know, I’m wearing a dress.” Alina said jokingly-disappointed.  “It’s quite a step down for me. And this thing is uncomfortable and tight.” She added, talking about the dress.

Dimitri composed himself with no shame that he was staring at Alina in her dress. “Well, I think to look… lovely.” He said with soft eyes and a warm voice.

“Thank you.” Alina said shyly as she looked down, acting like she was looking down at her dress so her hair could cover her already makeup covered blush. “It’s definitely something that will take a while for me to get used to. Sort of like torture.” She said the last part with a giggle

“Luckily, you won’t be all alone while being tortured.” Dimitri smiled at her.

“Oh, right. Since you’re my Guardian, you’re going to have to dress up as well. Bummer.” Alina said, acting like she was disappointed as she looked up at him, really looking at him with his suit on. “But let's be honest, your clothes are a lot more comfortable than mine and you look quite handsome so it’s a win-win for you.” Alina stated without running her words though her internal filter first and the second she said it she started to try and make her statements less flirtatious…

“I mean I’m just being honest and…” But she failed at doing that.

Dimitri smiled at her awkward smile she tried to use to cover up her embarrassment, so he decided to step up and put her out of her misery.

“Let's get this show on the road.” Dimitri told her as he stepped out of the way for her to walk. “Great idea, the faster this night is over the faster I can get out of this get-up.” Alina added, forgetting about her embarrassment as she started to walk with Dimitri just a close step behind her to her right.

Dimitri smiled at her, wondering how he was so lucky to have a charge that was so… human, in a world that had no place for such qualities.

As they walked, Alina slowed down and Dimitri was next to her instead of behind her. “Have you heard anything from Rose and the Tribunal?”

Dimitri sighed. “She is already in the Tribunal as we speak.”

Alina looked up at Dimitri with a stressed look and let off a stressed breath as she wiped her sweating hands against her dress.