Chapter 21

“So let me get this straight

“So let me get this straight. You want to go out into human territory with Adrian to get some answers about Spirit and the weird connection you and Rose have?” Ally asked the two nervous girls in front of her. Rose and Lissa nodded their heads in a slow confirming manner.

“And we're hoping that you will join us because we could use an extra set of eyes and a powerful magic user. And-“

“I can’t.” Ally interpreted Rose and she looked at Lissa. Lissa couldn’t tell what was behind Alina's look but she could sense disappointment. Was Ally disappointed in herself or at her sister?

“You know I can’t… not now. Not after I’ve already been punished not more than a week ago.”

“Wait, what?” Rose asked confused as she took a concerning step towards Ally.

Ally sighed as she pulled her sleeves up her arms, revealing her hands to Rose. The marks on top were almost entirely gone but her palms were still red.

Rose’s breath got caught in her throat as she gently looked at Ally’s hands. “Why didn’t I know about this? You just said this happened more than a week ago, before I left to go to Caroni Village…” Rose’s eyes softened when she looked up at Ally.

Ally gave her a sad smile, saying sorry for not telling her.

Lissa spoke up, she said gently, “I know that and I’m not counting on it, for you to use your Magic. Just preparing for the worst case scenarios.”
Ally nodded at her sister, understanding what she meant and agreeing to go with them.

“But then it’s the situation with you Guardian.” Rose said as she gave Ally space again and they continued with their planning.

“Mine or hers?” Ally asked Rose, as she pointed at herself and then at her sister, referring to Dimitri and Logan.

“Logan can’t take us, he’s been reassigned temporarily to clean up the mess of the Strigoi attack in the tunnel.” Lissa informed Ally and Rose continued to explain. “So we're going to need Dimitri…”

“He's definitely not going to agree to going on your little adventure. You're just going to waste your time.” She said knowingly. Alina wanted to join them, but if they asked Dimitri to be Guardian of the group, it wouldn't even take him a second to say no.

“And that’s why we’re not the ones who are going to ask him.” Rose said with a sneaky smile on her face. “You are.”

Alina started to disagree but then her words got stuck in her throat. Even though she has been human for most of her life, she has never truly seen the way humans actually lived. And maybe she would get more answers from Adrian about Instinct.

“Okay fine.” She agreed and both Rose and Lissa said a soft “yes” under their breaths in celebration.

“But I’m going to need more information on what we’re going and where we’re going in order to convince Dimitri.”