Beloved Nicknames

I walk further into the room, running my fingertips along random boxes. I get towards the back of the room and there's a grand piano. I grab a magazine near by and fan most of the dust off it. I cough as it goes flying everywhere, I open it up to see the keys.

They're perfectly intact and beautiful, I run my fingers along them softly. I pull out the bench and and sit down in front of the piano. I debate on wether to play something or not, since I'm not supposed to even be in here. But I figure if anyone asks I can come up with some type of lie.

I start playing Frolic by Luciano Michelini since it's the only thing I know by heart. I haven't played the piano in so long and it feels good to know I still can. Soon enough I hear the door softly shut and I stop playing.

I quickly stand push the bench in, closing the lid on the keys slowly and softly. I back up so I can see the door and I watch as the two women approach me. "We turned around and you were just... gone" Xandra says angrily. She looks to me for an explanation I assume but instead I turn to Cordelia.

She's smiling like always, "was that you playing?" She asks excited. Her attitude is almost child-like... it's cute. Guess I know who's fire and who's ice. "Yeah" I respond shyly, "Can you play it again, I wanna watch" she says, her eyes lighting up. "So we're just going to ignore me?" Xandra says sounding angry but I can hear hurt in her voice.

"I just don't see what the problem is... I didn't mean to upset you. But it's not like I ran away" I say trying to defend myself. "Fair enough" she says dropping the subject, "let's hear you play Für Elise" she says challengingly.
I move to sit back down and open the lid to reveal the keys again.

Cordelia perches up on the piano and Xandra leans against the wall with her arms crossed. "I don't know the whole thing but I'll try" I say remembering why I quit piano originally. My teacher was very... passionate and she got quite frustrated with me when I could play Für Elise perfectly. 

I could only play a little more than half of the song, I could never memorize more than that. My brain kept getting stuck after the fast part. "Just try your best, it'll still be better than either of us" Cordelia says encouragingly. I smile and take a deep breath with that in mind I begin to play.

Softly whispering the notes to myself as my fingers glide across the keys. I look up and Cordelia is looking between me and the keys. Xandra had uncrossed her arms and is leaning forward a little. Like she's surprised I knew any of it at all, her face said 'unbelievable'.

It just encouraged me even more to try to play the whole song. As the fast part came I got a little more focused, I watched my hands and the keys. I tried to remember the movement of my teachers' hands as she taught me. I made it through the fast part and closed my eyes as I continued.

I pictured her hands and just moved my own with them. By the time I opened my eyes I was at the end of the song. I was so proud of myself for finally getting it I almost cried. I think Cordelia must've saw because she hopped of the piano and gave me a hug. "You did great sweetie" she whispers happily in my ear.

She pulls back and I can see the sparkle in her eyes again, I can't help but smile. She stands up and I stand up right after her, closing the lid and pushing in the bench once again. "Well done" Xandra says simply, as if she's annoyed I could actually do it.

"Thanks" I way sarcastically, "you're a little shit" Xandra says in response to my tone. "Don't call me that" I say seriously, "that's your new nickname, little shit" she says teasingly. "Fuck you" I say before walking away, I can hear Cordelia quietly scolding Xandra.

I can practically feel her roll her eyes but I know they're looking at me. I can feel her eyes scanning me. I exit the room and go in a random direction just trying to get away. Coincidentally I end up at the bar and I sit down as the bartender comes over.

She checks the time and says "damn, days already going left?" I nod. "Name's Liz" she says smiling softly, "y/n" I say giving a weak smile. "What can I get for ya y/n?" She asks wiping her hands with a towel. "Just a water, probably not best to start this early" I respond.

She starts walking says but I change my mind "actually a sweat tea" I call after her. She nods and I look down at the napkin placed in front of me. It has a pretty design on it with the hotel's name Hotel Cortez in pretty font. The whole vibe of the place is Art Deco and I love the atmosphere.

I finally have a chance to really take it in as I sip my sweet tea. Then I start thinking of the first and only time Xandra and I had dinner. When she ordered me sweet tea like she knew it was my favorite thing. She's so odd, like a sour patch but opposite because she's sweet then sour.

I also kind of got it because of what she'll say when they find me. It's bound to happen anytime now, I didn't go far. I knew she'd think it was alcohol because it's brown and I just wanted to be difficult since she pissed me off.

Speak of the devil and she will appear I thought as I saw Xandra round a corner coming towards me. Cordelia following right behind her, trying to say something but Xandra I'd clearly not listening. She walks up to me and her eyes immediately dart to my glass and then to the bartender.

"What's that?" She says reaching for the glass, I pull it back from within her grasp. "It's really none of your business" I say and Cordelia covers her mouth preventing a laugh from escaping. "Y/n don't fuck with me right now" she says, before I can say something Cordelia speaks up. "Just calm down X" she says, Xandra gives her a death glare.

"Cordelia" she says in a warning tone, "stay out of it for once. And you know I hate when you call me that" she adds. I chuckle knowing I'm going to use that knowledge against her. She looks back to me and raises her eyebrows as if signaling for an answer. "I'm of legal age" I say looking at the bartender to see her reaction.

She's leaning with her back against the counter her face just spelling amusement. Xandra sighs and closes her eyes taking a deep breath.