19. Stay Alive

Jungkook made sure all of the doors and windows to Celine's house were locked before returning to her side on the couch

Jungkook made sure all of the doors and windows to Celine's house were locked before returning to her side on the couch. She couldn't sit still. He could tell she was worried about the others. He was too but he knew how strong they were, especially when united. He had been there with them when the men had turned into those creatures and they had managed to lock them away. 

Sitting down next to Celine, Jungkook put his arm around her and pulled her into him. She smelled like strawberries. He breathed her scent in, putting his mind at ease. He would do what he needed to to protect her. He knew the others would too. 

She looked up into his yellow eyes and smiled. He was amazed that he didn't terrify her. She accepted him and his brothers for who they were. She wasn't afraid of them but he was terrified of falling for her. Not because he was afraid to fall in love but he was afraid that loving him, no loving them, would bring her in harm's way. 

He started to run his fingers through her hair, softly singing Euphoria to her. She hummed along with him, her head on his chest.

"Celine, I know you may not want to hear this but I need to say it." Celine went rigid at his words and he could tell she was bracing herself for what he was about to say next. "Maybe it would be best if you went back home. You know, back to America. You'd be so much safer there and you'd be with your family. They could keep you safe." 

She turned to look at him, shocked. "How could you say that? You know that I'm barely talking to anyone now. I haven't even heard from Lexie, whose supposed to be my best friend and who's here in the same country, in ages. Don't you want me here? You were my first of all of the guys. I thought you'd want me here the most, but if you don't, how can I expect any of the others to want me?"

Her words broke Jungkook's heart but he couldn't take his words back. "Of course I want you here Celine. I lo-," he hesitated, "you're amazing. I just want you to be safe. I want you to be safe from these creatures, the others, and I want you to be safe from me. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. If one of us lost control of our powers and you got hurt," he shook his head, "you've already seen what Hobi can do. Sometimes we even affect each other and we're nearly invincible."

"It's that nearly that has me concerned. I've seen Yoongi these last couple of days. He's not okay. He's really having a hard time. You've all already told me that I help you. Make you feel more like yourselves. What happens when I'm gone? All of you lose yourselves? What will you unleash on the world then?"

There was a knock at the door, bringing their conversation to an abrupt halt. Jungkook put his finger to his lips, signifying silence and gently walked over to look through the peephole as he quietly flicked the light switch off, leaving the room completely dark. When he looked through, there was no one there. 

Worrying about Celine's safety, he quickly went back to her, picked her up bridal style and carried her into one of the interior rooms that had no windows and locked the door, knowing that they would be safe there.