Chapter 1 - An endearing first meeting

"I know you're excited, but please try not to be so loud ahah." Your guardian chuckled as they led you by the hand to the TW Octavinelle Aquarium.

You were just an excited toddler, jumping up and down while walking toward the gigantic structure that slowly came in view.

Your guardian worked at said aquarium and a while back, they had promised you to let you come visit once they had some new entries. Usually before being put in the desided tanks, they were first held in smaller ones so to be briefly observed and understand better the needs of their species.

There were a lot of new entries unfortunately. Since a big chunk of an underwater habitat had been destroyed, many merfolks ended up without a home.

This aquarium not only kept endangered species in a temporary safe environment, it also raised quite a sum of money out of various shows and all the visitors they received daily.

Most of the money was then donated for the safeguard of all aquatic creatures and to educate others on how to solve some of the problems that caused sea pollution and extinction of the said creatures who lived there.

In case of merfolks, the aquarium would first give them shelter and educate them until a new safe place for them to live in could be constructed, or until another underwater city opened up their gates to the homeless mers.

Once they're old enough, they'll be given the choice to freely go back to the sea, or to actually stay at the aquarium. Putting on shows and educating the younger (and quite ofter, also older) visitors who thought of the unknown ocean as fascinating.

This was going to be your first time seeing merfolks. You had heard of them from your guardian's stories, and now that you could finally meet some in person, you were thrilled.

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

"Okay little one, we have three small guys right there in that tank." You looked over and saw a glass tank. It wasn't really tall. It reached slightly higher then your guardian's waist, and it wasn't closed on the top.

"Give me your hands, champ." They crouched down to your level and showed their palm. You held out your hands and felt black rubber gloves slipping on them.

You clenched and unclenched your fingers and then looked up. At your gaze an answer was immediately given. "These little guys are just babies. And two of them have some really sharp teeth. I don't want you to hurt yourself because they got scared and bit you."

You firmly nodded and balled your fists in determination. The adult in front of you smiled and gave you a pat on the head. Then they got up, looking for something in the storeroom at the side of the room.

After a moment, they came out holding a small stepping stool and positioning it in front of the tank.

"Up we go." You felt two hands lifting you up and placing you on the object, before letting go.

You looked up at your guardian and they just smiled at you with crossed arms, chuckling. "What are you waiting for? Go on, take a peek." They then motioned to the tank with their chin.

You held onto the edge of the glass and looked down. There, you saw three small creatures. Their whole bodies were about as big as your head.

There were two serpent like beings who almost looked identical, save for some details, and a third one whom looked like an octopus. The latter was also really round and chubby, he was cute.

When you leaned further to take a better look, three pairs of little eyes set themselves on you. The moment they did, the small ones immediately moved back and bundled up together, af if trying to ascape your gaze. The small octopus in particular, promptly covered his face with his stubby arms and tentacles.