Chapter 10 - About someone new

(This is the continuation of the chapter before the Christmas special. After this chapter, the timeline will progress from after said special.)

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

You listened carefully as your guardian and the young teacher spoke to each other. In between their panicked exchanges, you managed to pick out the word "prince" and the name "Rielle" a couple of times.

At the start it was also mentioned something about a "new kid" which you now assumed was said prince.

You knew but a little bit about the merfolks' lives: You were aware of the fact that they were all ruled by a king merman, and that said mer had many children.

You didn't expect for one of them to have the same age as the trio though. Or that he'd be becoming one of their classmates. It's not like the part of the royal castle was the one that had been destroyed in the early accident. Which brought all the mers, whom were currently takind shelter, here at the aquarium. So he certainly wasn't coming here because his home was being rebuilt.

You quietly waited for a bit as the two adults kept conversing on the other side of the classroom's door.

The three merboys noticed the sudden shift in your behavior and exchanged unsure glances, before crawling a little closer.

"Friend. What's with ya?" Floyd tugged at the lower part of your clothes.

"Mh?" You looked down at them and hummed in confusion.

"Is something the matter?" Jade asked as you crouched down and sat in front of them. The latter took the opportunity to climb on your leg and plop on your thigh.

"It seems like we're going to have a new classmate, from what I heard." You shook you head softly before putting on a small smile.

"New classmate?" Azul pondered, worried. He probably feared the new mer-kid would be mean to him, like some of the other mer-children.

The moment you saw his pouty face, you reached over the chubby octopus and petted his head. He greatly appreciated that, shuffling closer to you.

"Another one? Meh." Floyd didn't really seem to care as he laid, face down, on your other thigh, looking like a dead fish.

"It the identity of this newcomer the cause of your sudden change of character?" Jade asked formally as he leaned against your tummy, still sitting on your leg.

You couldn't believe just how elaborately he could talk, at such a young age that is. He did speak pretty slowly, as if trying to choose the correct words whenever he formed sentences, but it didn't make it any less impressive.

"Sorry kids, I don't think it's my place to say it. Plus, I'm not even sure myself, so don't mind it." It's true that you had only heard bits and pieces of your guardian's conversation with the young woman. You also didn't want to accidentally put any kind of pressure on them. We were still talking about a prince after all. Their people's prince.

You patted their heads dismissingly and they all reacted by looking at you. The moody eel raised his head, which was previously, lazily facing down, laying on your leg.

The short haired teacher walked in, adjusting her glasses. She looked around to make sure all the kids were okay and then gave you a closed-eye smile, before heading to her desk.

She still looked a little shaken up, most likely from the surprise caused by the news given to her.

You discretely asked if your guardian was outside and if you could go to them. She looked at you, slightly wide-eyed, but nodded immediately after.