Chapter 29 - 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

"A necklace?" Jade pondered out loud and you nodded.

"Yes, it was a gift from His Highness." You said while pulling said object out of your collar, so to show it to the three young mers.

"I... I can perceive great magical power resonating from that seashell. Is it some sort of magical tool?" Azul throughly scrutinized said seashell and you chuckled in delight.

"Nothing goes past you, huh? You could say it is." You said while letting go of the necklace, making it fall down on your chest.

"What's so special about it?" Floyd tilted his head as he pushed his shoulder against yours.

"His Highness said it contains the voice of a siren. Since their voices is what makes them powerful, I just need to speak into the hollow of the shell to amplify my own magic." You gestured to the object as you explained how it worked.

"It's really useful for someone like me, who still has difficulties with channeling enough magic to cast spells. Although I have yet to try it." You smiled fondly, feeling really grateful for the amazing gift given to you.

"That would... certainly be handy." The octo-mer mumbled with a conflicted expression. Admittedly wanting the tool but also feeling warm inside from seeing you so happy about it.

"In the hands of someone powerful, that would most likely be quite hazardous." The neatly dressed twin spoke his thoughts and you nodded.

"I suppose it would. But Rielle also said that his father blessed it so that only I could use it, which is comforting." You added while bringing a hand to your chin before letting out a small breath and smiling.

"I must admit, I've never heard of this tool before." Azul pressed his lips in slight discontentment and Floyd cackled.

"Guess ya ain't all that knowin' after all, huh?" He grinned evilly and the shorter sophomore flushed in embarrassment.

"It's a dangerously useful magic amplifier. For that, it was left hidden to the public; it is to be expected for me to not know of its existence!" The latter huffed angrily and adjusted his glasses.

"But now, its power is here, in the Supervisor's hold to serve them. I think that's delightful." Jade smiled softly your way and you returned the gesture in glee.

"Mhm, I have a million new possibilities presenting in front of me! Especially now that I'll also be working as a teacher at NRC." You said with a genuine and happy smile, creasing your eyes while looking at the necklace that your hand couldn't help but grasp.

The three boys fondly looked at your expression, all feeling a small and welcomed pang in their chests.

"Guess Sardine got this one, huh?" The sloppy eyed twin spoke with irony as his cheek came to rest on your shoulder.

"Huh?" You were about to question what he meant but then Floyd suddenly and enthusiastically threw his arms up in the air before wrapping them around you.

"Huh?! Wh-what are you doing?! Ahah!" You laughed from surprise as the tall boy lifted you a bit before falling back onto the couch, cackling.

"Let's get ya a celebratory squeeze, ne~ Shrimpy?" He grinned and tightened his hug. You giggled gleefully as he nuzzled affectionately against you.

"Careful!" You slightly scolded but it didn't sound at all threatening as you roughly ruffled his hair.

"Fufufu~... I suppose this is something worth of celebration." Jade said, but his smile seemed the slightest bit forced as you remained in his brother's hold.

"Well? Aren't you going to join in, then?" You raised a brow and the composed mer-eel blinked in confusion.

"I thought I told you to vocalize your wishes, no?" You playfully sighed as you struggled out of Floyd's arms. Thankfully, he let you go without much of a fight.