Chapter 23 - Disturbed sleep

"Hurry up and paint those roses red!"

After getting back to the dorm, you and the newfound prefect, along side the fiery creature, got into two separated rooms to go to sleep.

Some ghosts from the staff had taken care of cleaning said rooms. You had also asked Crowley to get the power and water going, making him promise to get the work started by tomorrow.

"Slather them quickly, as aforesaid!"

You couldn't sleep. Or more precisely, as you were sleeping, you were suddenly woken up by a heavy feeling on your chest... a feeling of dread and uneasiness.

You don't remember dreaming anything. Everything was black. Yet, you could hear some frenetic voices.

"Hurry, hurry! There are still roses left to paint!"

You couldn't see whom they belonged to, nor they appeared familiar.

Even though you were tired from the eventful day, you just couldn't get to fall back asleep. In fact, you woke up pretty quickly, immediately losing all your sleepiness.

Because of that, you just decided to get out of bed and wander around the quiet dorm.

They're painting...roses?

As you strolled through the hollow halls, you silently looked at the walls. Maybe we could paint them... Suddenly came to your mind as you were absently fidgeting with your necklace's seashell.

"Why are you painting these white roses red?"

But why did you suddenly think of that? That was really out of nowhere. It felt like something was echoing in your head and you were only able to pick out bits and pieces.

"Huh? Why you ask?
It's quite simple."

What time is it? It's still way too early in the morning. There's still a couple of hours before the others have to get up.

"We planted the wrong color, you see."

Wrong? Did you see the time wrong? Or is the clock broken?

You checked the large pendulum in the hallway, then taking out your phone and letting the screen lit up.

"The Queen likes her roses red. If they're white, we'll lose our heads!"

Are you really that tired? That's probably the case. You're so exhausted that you think you're losing your head.

Regardless of that, you had walked much more than you thought, finishing a round of the whole dorm and ending back up in front of Yuu's bedroom, next to yours.

Deciding it was the best option, you were about to go back to bed when you heard the magicless prefect mumbling from behind their door. That pushed you to go check up on them.

"Goodness!"

Oh dear. A sudden feeling of vertigo came over you as you were just about to open the door to the sleeping young fellow's room.