Chapter 20 - Starting troubles

The moment you got home, what you received was a bone-crushing hug, that could rival Floyd's, from your guardian.

You both sat down on the living room's couch and you calmly explained everything from your meeting with Rielle to this point.

The whole time, you had kept hold of their slightly trembling hand. Softly rubbing over their knuckles in an attempt to soothe them.

To say they were surprised was an understatement. First, the necklace that the mer king had given you, then you getting transported to NRC, the way it had happened, all the events following your arrival, poor Yuu and finally, you getting a job there.

After processing the bucket of news, your guardian sighed deeply and finished off by saying that it was quite late and that they'd help you prepare your luggage in the morning.

"Goodnight, rest well." They spoke with a tired smile and you hugged them.

"Sorry again for making you worry. Have a nice sleep." You said and they sluggishly plopped their forehead onto your shoulder, returning the hug.

"As long as you're fine, champ." They left you with that, then going to their room.

Once in bed, you immediately drifted to sleep, much more exhausted than you had previously imagined.

You'd return to Night Raven in the morning and immediately meet with Crowley. You'll see Yuu later in the day.

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

Early morning of the first day, before classes, in the headmage's office.

"Mr. Ashengrotto. What could possibly bring you here at such an unusual hour?" Crowley asked from his seat behind his desk. Azul stood straight in front of him, staring into his yellow glowing eyes.

"I couldn't help but notice how one student didn't get sorted out during yesterday's ceremony. Apart from the magicless student, I mean..." The silver haired boy spoke calmly, maintaining his elegant posture.

"Mh? Oh! Could you possibly be alluding to our esteemed professor?" The masked man pondered. Azul didn't really question the "professor" part as he just assumed he was referring to your current job at the aquarium.

"I'd believe so. May I ask who they were? They struck me as familiar." The octo-mer feigned ignorance as he casually questioned.

"Ah, yes! They do work at a quite famous aquarium that takes its name from your dorm. It wouldn't surprise me if you did, in fact, recognize them." Crowley gleefully said.

"To think I managed to get them a position as a teacher here! How incredibly remarkable of me." He gloated, not noticing Azul's eyes going wide and his figure freezing in place.

"P-pardon? They'll be working here, you say?" The latter stuttered out.

"Indeed! We were just discussing the details yesterday evening. Although about their stay..." Crowley rethought to the agreement of restructuring the dorm and internally sighed, thinking of the implied costs.

The silver haired boy saw his expression and quickly cleared his throat. "If there's some sort of issue with their stay I could offer a room at Octavinelle. I'd also speak to the involved party myself." He misunderstood, believing you had no place to reside in during your time here.

"Ah... no. There's no need for that. You see, they actually..."

...

"Ramshackle?!" Azul's voice went high, his gracious posture thrown out of the window as he leaned forward with a stunned expression.