Chapter 22 - Promotions

A couple of hours had gone by since the troublesome group had departed for the Dwarfs' Mine.

Finding a magestone wasn't easy, especially in a place where there weren't supposed to be anymore. So it wasn't surprising for them to take a while...

You fiddled with the seashell on your necklace as you felt an ominous weight press on your chest. You felt something wrong, although you couldn't pinpoint what.

"How about we wait in the Mirror Chamber? I'd feel more at ease, that way." You suggested and the headmage thought about it for a moment before agreeing.

"If that is what you wish, I have no reason to refuse. I really am gracious, after all!" He gloated and offered his hand. You let him help you up from your seat and both exited the man's office.

Briefly after reaching the mirror, its surface lit up white and three figures, plus a smaller one, stumbled out.

Your eyes went wide at the scene. All of them were covered in dirt, scratches, soot and a little bit of a black, slimy substance. Deuce specifically was also bleeding from an arm.

"What happened?" They all seemed overall okay so you were at least glad of that. Still, you had to ask.

"We got into a bad situation at the mines, but we still managed to get the magestone..." Yuu panted slightly and you sighed.

"Pardon? You're telling me you actually went to the Dwarfs' Mine in search of a magestone?" Crowley said with a surprise tone and you brought a hand to your forehead.

"Uh...? Yes?"

"I didn't expect that you'd seriously do it. And never in my wildest imaginings did I think you would actually return with a magestone!" The man continued and then pinched his chin in thought.

"And here I intended to spend all evening preparing your expulsion documents. If not for our esteemed professor's imput I would've already done so." He said and Grim jumped up.

"Are you serious?! While we were fightin' some crazy monster for you, you were expellin' us?!" The creature complained and you frowned at his words.

"A monster you say?" You said and gave Crowley a side-eye, he awkwardly cleared his throat. He had said there wasn't anything dangerous at the mines, no?

"Yeah. There was a monster, all right. A big, nasty one that nearly killed us!" Ace, instead, openly glared at the man.

"W-would you kindly relate this story in full?" The headmage ignored your disappointed eyes and tried to act professionally.

"Before that, we need to take care of their injuries. Deuce, you seem to be in the worst shape compared to the others." You said and the boy embarrassedly nodded.

"I can care for your scratches with magic but I'm not able to stop an open wound from bleeding." You said and carefully pushed the blue haired boy, toward the infirmary, possibly.

"Ah, I'll take care of that, not to worry! Follow me." Crowley sweatdropped a bit while smiling and accompanied Deuce.

While a nurse ghost bandaged his arm, you and the masked man healed the others' scratches. As you did, they began with their explanation.

You learned that the monster, a big creature with a glass head full of a black goo and armed of a pickaxe, had hit Deuce, throwing him back and making him take quite the impact. Hence, his bleeding arm.

It was apparently guarding the last remaining magestone in the mine, that Yuu currently held, attacking everyone who came close to it.

After some struggles, Yuu managed to get the two students and the fiery beast to work together. They used themselves as bait and brought the monster outside of the mines. The others used their magic- Grim his fire, Ace with wind magic and Deuce with- cauldrons...?- to attack it at the same time, immobilizing it in a flaming tornado and cracking its glass head till its breaking point.