Chapter 39 - A suffering child

A rain of rose bushes came crushing down towards all of you as the ground shook violently.

Only a few of them transformed into playing cards while you erected barrier after barrier to protect the group of students you were fighting along with.

You felt adrenaline coursing through your entire body as you chanted a spell after another inside the hollow of your seashell, experiencing that same surge of magic flooding through your being.

"I summon thee, cauldron!" Deuce launched a cauldron at the blot monster behind Riddle, but it didn't do any damage and instead got repelled, flying back toward the same blue haired boy.

"Move outta the way!" Ace used his wind magic to try and hit the cauldron as Yuu jumped over to Deuce and made him roll on the grass with them, dodging the hit.

"Thanks." The Heartslabyul freshman thanked the magicless human as he panted and grabbed their hand to pull them up.

"I will not tolerate such resistance! I'll crush all of you!"

The overblotting housewarden hollered in rage as the ink monster towering behind him used a large rose bush to try and hit all of those participating in the fight.

"We need to take down that thing ASAP!" Cater screeched as one of his copies got ruthlessly crushed by one of the hits.

"Myaaaah- It's just like at the mines!" Grim spat out fire as Yuu instructed his movements. Then the dual skinned fellow spoke up.

"The glass! We need to shatter the glass head!" They yelled and barely dodged an attack, stumbling backwards.

You wrapped an arm around them and held them close as you summoned a small water wall in front of you two, deflecting yet another spell.

"My unique magic is barely holding up, we have to end this quickly." Trey gritted his teeth as the playing cards decreased the more Riddle kept firing attacks.

After a moment of hasted pondering, an idea came to your mind as you clenched your necklace tightly. "Raise the temperature!" You instructed firmly and everyone quickly nodded, not questioning it and simply going along with it.

The dark blonde prefect and the small fiery creature exchanged a look of understanding, then the latter jumped in the human's arms.

They began running as fast as they could as Grim breathed out his blue fire, all while moving in a zigzag line, to avoid any direct hit. They'd occasionally clench the monster and roll onto the ground to dodge more easily. Just to make sure though, you'd sometimes launch some minor water spells to protect them.

Trey kept trying to contain Riddle's magic as much as he could and Cater and his copies surrounded the glass monster to push it back and corner it toward the flames.

"Ace!" Yuu yelled out and the red eyed ginger immediately used his wind to create a tornado, which engulfed Grim's fire.

"Get the blot monster as close as possible to the fire!" You exclaimed as the ginger third year protected you from an incoming rose bush. You gave a single nod to thank him and turned back to the fight.

"Stop it, stop it, STOP IT! You impudent bugs!"

The out-of-control housewarden screamed in frustration as his attacks became even more unpredictable and destructive, firing aimlessly all around the tattered garden.

While the redhead was distracted, Deuce summoned another cauldron which hit the ink monster and made it stumble against the flaming tornado, catching fire as the cat-like beast and the others kept raising the temperature of the flames.