Chapter 8 - Exchanges and news

"We're finally done..." You and the young woman let out a deep sigh.

All of the kids were now clean of any residual paint. The floor as well...

Since one of the merboys accidentally toppled a tube of paint, making a small half-fish girl stumble over it and squashing it, a lot of color had spattered on the ground. The poor little girl had started weeping and the merboy felt so bad that while trying to apologize ended up crying as well.

You managed to sooth both, comforting them, and also clean up the fish-girl. The latter held onto you for a good five minutes before finally letting go.

But let's not go too much into details. It was now time to open the young teacher's mystery box.

"It's not anything flashy, really..." She said a little bashfully while you went toward the desk.

"Well, I'm still curious." You smiled at her while opening the box.

"Oh!"

It was divided in two and inside were numerous materials: colorful strings, little pearls made of the kind of glass you'd find on the shore, seashells and more, on one side. In the other were different colored papers, ribbons and pencils, glue, glitters and scissors.

"I can definitely see the 'craft' in here." You chuckled mirthfully while looking inside the squared container.

"They could build something with paper, make decorated cards or some braided bracelets and necklaces." The woman explained with a calm smile.

"I can already see the pearls rolling around and- oh god, the glitters are going to get everywhere..." You paled a little and sweatdropped at the thought.

"Ahahah..." The young teacher grimly laughed as a dreadful look made its way into her features.

"I'd love to say that I'm mentally prepared for when that'll happen, but..." She said to you, looking defeated.

You both sighed and decided to leave those thoughts for later after the end of the day. You grabbed the box and held it in both arms. Turning toward the children you then smiled.

"Let's see how creative you all can be."

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

Helping out the children when they needed to use scissors, adjusting shapes, exchanging different colored pencils and making sure no one made the glue or glitters spill out everywhere.

It was quite the handful but all the kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.

You walked over the trio to see what they were up too. They had opted for personalized cards.

Floyd had used random colors and all the papers were messily cut in incoherent shapes. To your dismay, he was also covered in little pieces of paper... and seemed like he had rolled around in a puddle of glitters.

Jade's card was the complete opposite of his twin's. Neatly cut, it had little paper mushrooms, decorated with small buttons and strings to make the details.

One time, while you were helping them study science, you all came across a biology chapter that was about mushrooms and fungi. He had found himself greatly interested on the subject and started reading about different kinds. At some point, he even asked you to lend him your biology books.

The composed eel had temporarily stopped working on his card when he noticed that his brother's hair was full of glue-drenched pieces of paper sticking to it. He was trying to peel those off as Floyd, uncaring of his state, kept on picking up different things left and right.