Chapter 73 - Failed attempt

"This is a whole lot of stuff you're gettin'. Preparin' something grand?" Sam spoke with a friendly grin as he read through the list you had passed him.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you'll be workin' on some nice ol' concoction... am I close?" The dark skinned shopkeeper threw you a fun-loving look, raising a brow in question.

"How very intuitive of you." You huffed a sound of amusement, nodding along.

"These are for an underwater breathing potion. The book from which I took the step-by-step guide was very picky about the ingredients. So I'll kindly ask for you to be as well." You requested with a slight smile, watching as the man nodded to himself.

"Only the best of the best for ya!" The latter mimicked a gallant bow, making a hand gesture of service.

"Tho' I still have to offer you the alternative of a nice magical artifact that could get the same job down in a jiffy." Sam said as he straightened up with a wink.

"Would that be of interest to you?" He slightly leaned in with a hand over his chest, making you chuckle.

"As much as I appreciate it, I'm afraid my wallet cannot afford something like that." You responded honestly, making the man in the apron nod and turn toward one of the many shelves in the store as he hummed.

"If I may land my word of advice, how about asking Crewel to help you with it? That's not a potion you can risk having its effects flunkin' when in use." The adult with magenta eyes said with a meaningful glance while he began to gather up some of the elements of the list.

"I... did think of that. Although I'm not sure if he'll agree to such a favor." You admitted with an unsure smile.

"Over here..." The dark skinned man murmured to himself as he moved from a corner of the extravagant shop to another.

"Oh, I'm sure he will. It is the headmage's fault that you got roped into the students' mess. He'll feel responsible to." He then reassured casually, getting the last of what you had requested and setting it all into a bag.

"And how come you know that part, huh?" You raised a pleasantly surprised brow, following the grinning staff member to the cash register.

"I've got ears and eyes everywhere, my dear. Never underestimate a good shopkeeper." Sam threw you another wink as he tapped away, then gave you a price for your purchases.

"I'll make sure to keep that in mind." You chuckled and handed over the money requested, then having the straps of the bag passed to you.

"Now, chop-chop, dear Teach'. You've got yourself quite the business to deal with." Said shopkeeper light-heartedly clapped his hands twice.

"Yes, indeed. Have a good day, Sam." You nodded and smiled gratefully, heading toward the exit.

As you did, you noticed the man's shadow enthusiastically waving its "hand" at you. Hadn't you already seen something similiar before, you would've been quite surprised, to say the least.

After returning the wave with a friendly expression, you fully left the shop.

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

"I can't believe they rigged that crap so Teach' couldn't help us! Those sketchy, slimy, pains in the-"

The group of freshmen was currently making their way to the Mirror Chamber. Meanwhile Ace was grumbling angrily with a pissed frown, as a result of a more extended explanation the magicless human had given.

"I think there's a worse problem we should tackle first..." Jack grumbled with crossed arms, looking to the side.

"Yeah... I mean- are you saying that the twins might be there?" Deuce nervously requested confirmation, looking at the dark blonde.