Chapter 5: As it was

Liam

I drift in and out of consciousness.

For the time that I've been at the hospital so far, I've been visited by a lot of people.

My friends from school and those who already graduated came. Some distant relatives of my mom, Emm - though they didn't come alone, for some reason - and even the Alpha of the pack.

Yes, he came too. By now, the entire Crescent Moon pack has heard about my trifle with his son. Even the humans of our school heard about it. I'm famous now. Locally famous.

Alpha Collins talked to my mom and apologized for his son's behavior, assuring her that in the eventuality that I survive he's not gonna pursue me to cause any further harm.

Right. Sure. Whatever you say, Alpha.

I don't dispute that you're an honest and a stand up guy. But you'll forgive me if I don't trust your word on this matter.

Not that I think you're lying. It's just that your son is a fucking psychopath. That's why.

Oh and the police visited me too - not that I can say anything to them at this point.

We live in a (vast majority) human town, so the hospital notified them as soon as I was admitted, per protocol.

Not that it makes any difference to me.

I'm not gonna set them off on Jeb. It's my word against his and he has at least 6 boys who'd bare witness for him.

Anyway, my poor mom is missing work by refusing to leave my side. That's just what we needed, more expenses and even less money.

At this rate, we'll be evicted from our house soon. I wish I didn't have to worry about that, all this adult stuff. But I'm not a kid anymore.

Despite my lack of mate, I'm already 18.

I wonder if I'd heal faster if I had a mate by my side. Or at the very least, someone to share the burden with my mom. I worry about her.

Though at this point, I'm in no shape to worry about anyone but myself. Still, I have nothing but time on my hands.

Considering how happy I was just a few days ago, with a job on the line and a relationship. Now, I have neither of those things.

The only thing I have to look forward now is my sponge bath by the hospital nurse.😂😅

I'm joking, of course. I'm too covered in bandages to be cleaned properly by anyone. I literally have to go to the bathroom via a catheter.

Don't ask. It's better if you don't know. Keeps the mystery alive. And some of my dignity.

The doctor enters my room, examines me and tells my mom that my vitals look good. I'm healing much faster than expected, it's practically a miracle.

Yes, he's human too. Someone please tell him that I'm a werewolf and therefore heal faster?😅

No, I'm not in a good mood but if I don't find humor in my situation I might as well give up now. And that wouldn't be fair to my mom.

I have to find a silver lining somewhere. Anywhere. I can't be the washed up Forsythe, I'm the grandson of an Alpha. Even if it doesn't look that way now, my life has to be more than this.

I can't give in to despair. I won't. I simply refuse.

My mom caresses my forehead. I lost track of time, but I know it's the afternoon because there's still sun shining outside of the hospital window.