Chapter 6: Spotlight

George

I know you want it.

I want it too, trust me. I can barely eat dinner right now even thinking about it. It's consuming me as if my life depended on it.

I can't explain, but I can't shake it.

Ever since my uncle told us about that poor kid, I can't seem to forget about his dire situation. I wish I didn't care so much about a boy I've never met.

Especially one whose fate lies in my father's hands. It's easy enough to judge my dad for not agreeing to help the poor kid out, but I can't even begin to process his loss.

And though it was a long time ago, one never fully recovers from it. We just move on the best way we can.

"Dad, can I go to the mall with Annie tomorrow?" - Charlie asked him as we're eating dinner on a Friday night.

"Neither one of you have a driver's license yet. Who's gonna drive you over there?" - He inquired, curiously.

Annie is Charlie's girlfriend. Yes, my 16 years old brother has a girlfriend. And he calls her his mate - just not in front of our parents. Barf!

Charlie looked at me with a pleading puppy dog eyes.

"Really? Do you think I'm such a loser that I don't have any plans of my own this weekend other than to drive my brother to his date?" - I snapped, seriously annoyed at him.

Charlie gasped at this, feeling a little guilty. However, my dad...

"Do you have plans? I'm not aware of you asking me permission for anything." - Dad jabbed at me. Yes, he's that much of a hard ass.

"Maybe I thought you'd be too busy letting teenagers die to pay me any attention." - I shot back. And immediately regretted it.

Fuck, that's a low blow. And stupid of me. Daddy glared at me, but my dad slammed the table so hard it nearly broke it. It startled all of us.

Werewolves already have an acute sense of hearing and when someone makes a loud bang, it affects us way more than humans.

"Son, the first step into commanding respect is respecting others. When I returned here after 7 years away, I had to respect the fact that your grandfather was Alpha. I didn't like it at all, but I respected him." - Dad stated in a somber tone.

"I never thought I'd have to bow my head to anyone. My dad wouldn't require it and in my mind, he would pass the job to me once I'd come of age." - He continued, ever so serene.

"Nevertheless, I did bow my head to your grandfather. I'd never disrespect him in this regard. As he bows his head to me now when we see each other." - Dad said in a tempered manner.

"My point with all of this is: if you don't respect me as your Alpha, you'll never ascend to anything much less to my position." - Dad concluded, making me wince at his words.

I think I'd prefer if he slapped me.

"You'll drive your brother tomorrow and accompany him and his date for all the time they're together until they return home." - He commanded me, causing Charlie to smile in contentment.

"But dad..."

"I have spoken!" - He cuts me off, angrily.

Daddy is quietly seeing all this play out. But he knows that when my dad starts speaking, it's best if you don't interrupt him. Especially when he's telling a story.

"What time do you want to leave, Charlie?" - I asked my brother after we finish dinner. I start washing the dishes and my brother dries them.

I don't know what's the point of having all this money if we're not getting a maid to do this work for us. Uncle Tony lives better than us at the pack house with professional cooks and cleaners.